OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wing bone recommendation  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Wing bone recommendation
« on: October 16, 2017, 09:09:31 PM »
I would like to get a descent wingbone to try.I am pretty unfamiliar with them .I do have an old nasty looking one but would like to try one that is built right to give them a fair chance.Can you guys point me in the right direction for getting one at a descent price. I know they can be high dollar but I don’t want to spend that much. Thanks for your advice

Offline Tombo

Re: Wing bone recommendation
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:17:34 PM »
Mark Sharpe.

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 11:29:27 PM »
Mark Sharpe.
X2. Great guy, great calls. Can contact him on here.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 04:37:58 AM »
Thanks guys

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 05:56:55 AM »
Are trumpets easier to get good sounds from compared to wingbones or are they the same just curious?

Offline silverspur

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:28:29 AM »
Mark Sharp and or Tony Ezolt (EZ on here) both make outstanding wingbones that are easy to run and the turkeys seem to like them as well.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 02:42:56 PM »
Another Mark Sharpe fan here.   Check out his cane calls too.  I can't figure out which I like better, my wingbone or my Cane Call.    As far as difference between a Trumpet or Wingbone I can't tell any difference in getting turkey out of them.  I think it's more about a quality instrument from a guy with a track record of producing good sounding calls.   A good wingbone or trumpet will both be easier to get turkey out of vs one that the builder just hasn't figured out the right length, internals etc.   Keep in mind a well built call doesn't guarantee your going to get the sound out of it, you still have to be able to play it.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:03:54 PM by guesswho »
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 04:12:59 PM »
Thanks for the help so far. I can get some good sounds out of the one I have but it is hard for me to keep it consistent.Probably just me mostly but I would like to try a good one to see.What is the best to start hen,jake or a Jenny wing ?Does It make a difference for left or right wing? Thanks again

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »
Does It make a difference for left or right wing? Thanks again

Left wingers will rarely kill a turkey  :toothy12:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 07:59:55 PM »
I think Tony's (EZ) wingbone and cane call are as good as any and they are pretty economical. I have decided I prefer trumpet's, but I don't know what I am doing so take that with a grain of salt.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 08:55:09 PM »
I think Tony's (EZ) wingbone and cane call are as good as any and they are pretty economical. I have decided I prefer trumpet's, but I don't know what I am doing so take that with a grain of salt.
It sounds like you know more than me so thanks for your input. I guess for me not knowing anything I like the thought of the wingbone being made out of the turkey and how long people have been using them. I will be honest and say that I never thought they sounded real until I was watching some YouTube videos and some of those guys can really make them talk. The selling point was when I heard them do a kee kee with one and I thought it sounded great I may never be able to duplicate it but that was when I decided I wanted one anyway.

Offline 2nd 100

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 01:24:58 AM »
As for bone . IMO hen or snow goose mouthpiece with some type lip stop are the most realistic and the hardest to obtain , by the way.
Goose is a little easier but the other 2 bones haven't made a big difference to me. If I have all 3 hen bones  :blob10: I'm really happy. Next choice would be a snow Goose MP with 2yr old gobbler end sections. I'm fair on these wind instruments. And gave killed gobblers in GA and FLA with them on multiple ocassions. And in closing I thing well made trumpets are easier and most time produce more appealing sounds to the HUMAN EAR. Turkeys seem to not have any preference ,if they hear one they seem to work to the gun and take a consultation ride home in the
Back of my truck.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 11:22:34 AM »
As for bone . IMO hen or snow goose mouthpiece with some type lip stop are the most realistic and the hardest to obtain , by the way.
Goose is a little easier but the other 2 bones haven't made a big difference to me. If I have all 3 hen bones  :blob10: I'm really happy. Next choice would be a snow Goose MP with 2yr old gobbler end sections. I'm fair on these wind instruments. And gave killed gobblers in GA and FLA with them on multiple ocassions. And in closing I thing well made trumpets are easier and most time produce more appealing sounds to the HUMAN EAR. Turkeys seem to not have any preference ,if they hear one they seem to work to the gun and take a consultation ride home in the
Back of my truck.

Lot's of truth to what you say. My favorite calls to make and play is a hen or goose mouthpiece in a mature gobbler end sections. Very easy to play with great hen sounds and easy to kee kee. I would take exception to an ALL hen bone. For some reason (and I know this goes against common wisdom) I usually find an all-hen call a little "tinny" sounding and delicate. Of course that does depend on the size of the hen they came from.
Conversely, don't overlook a well made ALL-gobbler bone as well. Made right, they can be one heck of a good call, just not quite as high pitched. Also, IMHO, a fall Jake bone is my best "do it all" all around good caller.
Of course everyone has different preferences and likes. That's what makes the world go round, lol.

Offline M Sharpe

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 08:04:24 AM »
I like a call made from all hen bones. I do agree with Tony though. Not all hen bones are destined to be calls. You can get too small with them. You can't play them as hard and loud as what you can different bones. I like hen or speck goose bone mouthpiece, hen center and small gobbler bell. Bones vary from different parts of the country. The gobblers where I hunt have bones smaller than a lot of hens from other regions across the country. Young jake bones make some good calls too.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »
I like a call made from all hen bones. I do agree with Tony though. Not all hen bones are destined to be calls. You can get too small with them. You can't play them as hard and loud as what you can different bones. I like hen or speck goose bone mouthpiece, hen center and small gobbler bell. Bones vary from different parts of the country. The gobblers where I hunt have bones smaller than a lot of hens from other regions across the country. Young jake bones make some good calls too.

Mark makes a great point here. Every set of wingbones is different to some degree. That's just the nature of.....nature. I've already cooked down a set of bones that at first glance, looked too large to make a good call (at least hen sounds), but after cutting off the ends I discovered that even though the O.D. was large, the walls were thick and that made the I.D. much smaller and in the end, made a great call.