OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: TIMBERDOODLE HUNTING UP HERE IN NEW YORK STATE.  (Read 1383 times)

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
TIMBERDOODLE HUNTING UP HERE IN NEW YORK STATE.
« on: October 15, 2017, 01:24:24 PM »
Indian Summer for sure. I was out for over 2 hours and covered a good 3 miles. No migrating timberdoodles got up.  While out- I saw a bunch of (dinner plates) as the wild turkeys scratched up the open hardwoods.  Pumped for the Fall Turkey Opener next SAT!! Taking a good friend of mine Jeannine out. She has only 1 turkey  so far-- a Fall hen from a good 3 years ago. 
   I found right where this flock was roosting! I got there at a good 9.30am and was happy no turkeys were there. Timberdoodles were not there eitherLOL.  Hopefully next Sat- I can scatter that flock to the 4 winds and Jeannine can tag a fat jake as I call the flock back.

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: TIMBERDOODLE HUNTING UP HERE IN NEW YORK STATE.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:27:22 AM »
Good luck!

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 06:41:49 PM »
I have only had the correct feeling that an animal was looking at me in the woods and that was from two birds, the Wild Turkey and the Woodcock.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 12:26:28 PM »
Good post silvestris!  The woodcocks eyes are set very high to see behind, in front, and above while looking for earthworms.  Plenty of times in the past, I have flushed them up almost right under my feet!  They are hard to hit after  this close of a flush.

Offline turkaholic

• live to hunt hunt to live
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 07:29:21 AM »
Seeing a good amount of those little devils this year here in CT. Wish I could say the same for turkeys. How was the hatch this spring? Seemed to be a wet spring, has me concerned.
live to hunt hunt to live