OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: My first wing bone  (Read 3474 times)

Offline blake_08

My first wing bone
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2017, 01:41:31 PM »
https://youtu.be/rq4gHD_9pMk

Here's a sound file. I've never tried a wing bone before this one, so I'm learning. I'd like one a little higher pitched, so would shortening the bones on my next call produce a higher pitch or just a loss in volume?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: My first wing bone
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 02:36:53 PM »
Nice story. Congrats!!

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 08:12:57 PM »
https://youtu.be/rq4gHD_9pMk

Here's a sound file. I've never tried a wing bone before this one, so I'm learning. I'd like one a little higher pitched, so would shortening the bones on my next call produce a higher pitch or just a loss in volume?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
I think your call sounds good.

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »
Great Story!!! That wingbone does look like a good one! This may become a habit as it did for me. I have made a good 10 wingbones over the decades-both gobbler and hen. They don't look anywhere near as good looking as your wingbone though. I probably make mine different from most turkey hunters as I don't boil the bones. I just use Elmers glue and they are ready after the 2 bones are cleaned and dried out. I was hoping to bag a hen in New York this Fall to make a few more wingbones- but struck out on public land. I was out 10 times. Once more in New Jersey tomorrow though--hard climb up Cupsaw Mt. in the pre-dawn.
   This past Spring- I found the bony remains of a gobbler that was killed by a fox or bobcat. I was able to make a wingbone out of the Ulna and radius that I found there. That winbone which was cleaned very well did not sound good at all. This happens sometimes when making a gobbler wingbone. I have always had great sounding hen wingbones however. Again- great story and a good looking wingbone!

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 04:20:27 PM »
I love the look of the wrapping.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline idratherb

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 06:28:45 PM »
great job and cool story and nice job on the bone!

Offline Hooksfan

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 05:25:51 PM »
Enjoyed reading your story and congrats on the hunt. Fatbeard is making me a wingbone call from a hen I shot this fall.  I'm not really a wingbone guy myself, but I look forward to playing around with it.
I would be curious to know how it sounds. I had always heard that hen wing bones made the best call. Not sure if that is right or not, but your sunrise gobbler sure did Make a pretty call.

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2017, 12:52:13 PM »
I have lost a few wingbones also during the years in the turkey woods. I no longer carry them in a front shirt pocket. I need to get a laynard for my fav wingbone that I have named (sweet clucker). I wrote on it with black magic marker. I am pretty sure this one was made from a rather large Fall hen.I have taken a few Fall hens in excess of 13lbs.
   The clucks on this wingbone are awesome. I like to start with this while the gobblers are still roosted.

Offline blake_08

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 09:05:40 AM »
Enjoyed reading your story and congrats on the hunt. Fatbeard is making me a wingbone call from a hen I shot this fall.  I'm not really a wingbone guy myself, but I look forward to playing around with it.
I would be curious to know how it sounds. I had always heard that hen wing bones made the best call. Not sure if that is right or not, but your sunrise gobbler sure did Make a pretty call.

I posted a sound file on up in this thread if you'd like to hear it. it's a youtube link. click it and it should take you right to it.

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I enjoyed making the call and i have two more wings in the freezer so i still have a couple more to make. I want to try and shorten the bones on my next call to get a little higher pitch, but i will definitely be using a wingbone some in spring 2018.

Offline Farmboy27

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2017, 05:35:53 PM »
That's your first one?!  Dang nice work!  I think it's safe to say that you got some talent brother!  Love it.