OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: My first wing bone  (Read 3465 times)

Offline blake_08

My first wing bone
« on: October 10, 2017, 06:45:14 PM »
We all have reasons we love the things we do. I'd bet it's safe to say, that everyone here loves turkey hunting.  This past April, before our season came in,  I was doing some scouting and I was blessed enough to see one of the most beautiful sunrises I've ever seen. The sun was just starting to crest over the mountain horizon and it was painting the sky with the prettiest colors. I felt extremely blessed to be alive, in that moment and in that spot. I was the only human being on earth with that exact same view at that point in time. It was my sunrise. The best part of It? There was a gobbler in the bottom directly below the sun gobbling his head off. He was gobbling at every sound he heard, without any persuasion from me or my locator calls. For that period of time, I was the richest man in the world at that moment. Everything about that moment is engrained in my soul until the day I die. Moving forward about a week to opening day, I went back to the sunrise spot a little after daylight and eased into the woods. Wouldn't you know it, the gobbler is still there and gobbling as he was during our first encounter. He was about 300 yards away and on the ground, going away. I called with my box and he gobbled immediately after. I knew I had to get ready. I eased up about 30 yards to the best looking spot to set up and picked me a tree. I hit my box again and about the 3rd yelp, ol pretty boy cut me off. I just laid my call down and got ready. He closed the distance in about 10 minutes, gobbling every few steps. I never had to wonder where he was at he was very good at letting me know. He finally came over a small rise at about 30 yards in full strut. He strutted around a few minutes and gobbled about twice, and the next time he stuck his head up was the last time. It was one of my favorite hunts I've had to date, but they're all great. The bird wasn't exceptional in size. A 2 year old with a 9 inch beard and 3/4 spurs, but it couldn't have been better if he was 25 lbs with long hooks.

Yesterday, I made my first wing bone yelper out of one of his wing and I'm really liking it. I've got a lot of practice to do with it but I'm confident in it and I'm almost certain I'll be using it next spring in the woods.

Here's the sunrise

Here's the gobbler

And here's the call

God bless you all and God bless America!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Offline blake_08

My first wing bone
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: My first wing bone
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 06:53:57 PM »
Nice!

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:24:39 PM »
Welcome to the disease.  Awesome looking wingbone and great story and pics.  Thanks for sharing.  Really good post and what this forum is all about.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »
All around great story..wing bone looks great...

Offline blake_08

My first wing bone
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 08:01:59 PM »
Thanks every one. I'm not new to turkey hunting, but every bird gets me as excited as the first one did. That's one thing I love so much about it. It's the only thing I do that makes me feel that way.

Offline KentuckyHeadhunter

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »
It's the only thing I do that makes me feel that way.

Yup.  I was right.  Welcome friend.  :z-winnersmiley:
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 08:40:37 PM »
Its like the way Tom Kelly put it, "I'm glad I lived to see it one more time." You're a turkey hunter my friend, a great lookin call and a fine hunt to bag him. Now to call in a bird next year with that 'bone.'
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 05:55:26 AM »
Wingbone looks great and thanks for a great story.We can all remember a special hunt that is why we keep doing it. Thanks for sharing

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
My first wing bone
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 06:12:50 AM »
Congrats, glad to see you enjoy what it is truly about. Good luck with the new call and enjoy the memories.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Gawhitaker

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 06:39:34 AM »
Beautiful sunrise, excellent story, awesome wingbone. You have a gift of writing so that it was as though I was on the hunt with you.
Thanks for sharing
Those young ones getting to tag along yet? If not your in for a whole new level of enjoyment in the near future, mine are grown, we still hunt together anytime we can, but I sure miss those days.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 09:23:48 AM »
nice picture and story, good looking call, congrats

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 09:55:47 AM »
Great Story! Nice Call.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 12:56:19 PM »
Great story and you weaved it so well...Man, that's what you live life for! I can't imagine what someone's life is like that doesn't hunt and doesn't get to experience all that a glorious morning like that is...And to salvage a vestige of that hunt to carry on to the next one is, well, priceless...
Thanks for sharing all of that with us!

Offline blake_08

My first wing bone
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 01:26:21 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words everyone.