OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New to Turkey Hunting  (Read 4361 times)

Offline jsteil

New to Turkey Hunting
« on: October 08, 2017, 10:42:02 AM »
Hello,

Generally this time of year you would catch me out on the lake fishing. This year I made the decision to change things up and hunt for the first time ever.  My Brother in-law complains that no one ever wants to go hunting, so I thought it would be a great way for us to bond more and get away from the wife's.   Lets just say his wife didn't let him go out this year, so I'm learning by myself.

I scouted three areas this summer for fall turkey hunting.  The first area I was pulled over by my county conservation agent and he told me the area isn't managed at all.  Told me he has only seen two turkeys this year and pointed to the area on a map.    The second area I scouted one day when it was raining outside.  When I turned to pull into the parking lot there were 15 hens just standing there.  The third area is a large conservation area and I need to scout it more than I did.

I would like to focus on the second area I mentioned.  I showed up at 4 am the Saturday before opening day and listened all morning.  Did some crow calls, owl calls, turkey calls, and got nothing in return.   Went back Thursday and did the same thing and got the same results.

I'm thinking about going into the wooded area on the east side of the road.  Looking for suggestions.

This is the map of the area.

Red Area = Park boundry
Yellow Area = Where I have scouted
Green Area = Where I saw hens
Orange Area = Where I saw a tom
Blue Area = Where I think I found scratching

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 10:50:29 AM by jsteil »

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: New to Turkey Hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »
Forget the callers for scouting fall and spring.  You should look for three things, sign,sign and sign.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
New to Turkey Hunting
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 10:57:36 AM »
Check under the trees around those ponds for turkey turds.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 05:14:06 PM »
The advice you've been given is good and the same. Find where the birds are and be there.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 10:57:45 PM »
Denny Gulvas has a very good video on fall turkey hunting, it would help to speed up your learning curve if your new and going by yourself

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »
If you are new to turkey hunting, the first thing to understand is that fall turkey hunting and spring turkey hunting are two "different animals".  I would suggest first taking a look at the fall turkey hunters forum here on OG.  You will find some discussion there that will probably be helpful. (note: beware,....a lot of turkey dog talk,...dogs are not legal in many places for turkey hunting)

It sounds to me like you are using advice you have read on spring hunting.  While it is true that some of that advice it applicable for fall hunting, there are specific tactics and calling methods that are quite different. 

Offline The Cohutta Strutter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 09:01:41 PM »
Can only add," never put all your eggs in one basket". Area 3 may be an option to check out as well. Good luck !
Anybody seen America lately?

Offline jsteil

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 05:28:34 PM »
One morning a couple weeks ago I went and walked around the big pond area and didn't find any signs.   Yesterday morning I went and scouted the area to the east.  The big forest area with a creek running through it.   I found plenty of signs (droppings, feathers, etc).  I didn't have a lot of time to stay out there. Sometime this week I will go out there for an extended period of time.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 08:28:49 AM »
You're on the right track. Forget the owling and the crow calling for fall.
Get into the areas that you found sign before daylight and listen for yelps from the tree.
As it gets near flydown time, do some yelping and kee keeing of your own. I generally continue
moving (stealthily) until I find birds and then figure out if and how to break them.
Don't be afraid to put some emotion into your calling.

Offline mufishgrad

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 01:17:29 PM »
What time of day are you scouting? The birds seem to be quiet on the ground but still make a racket at fly-down and up time. This could help you at least find where they're roosting.

Offline jsteil

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 08:45:26 PM »
Just want to say thank you to everyone that replied.   Even just walking the area helped me plan for the Spring.

Today was the first day in the spring season I could get out.  I went to the second area I visited in the fall.  Got out 2 hours before sun rise.  I was the first truck to park in the area.  Walked in about half a mile before I made my first call.   Got two gobbles.   One to the left and one to the right.   At that point I setup a decoy and leaned up again a big tree with a tiny bush in front of me.  Took about 15 minutes of calling back and forth and I see the tom coming down the hill.  Unfortunately I learned a hard lesson.   Be completely still.  I moved my head just a little bit and that tom saw my movement and took off.   I'm going to head back out there tomorrow morning and this time I'm going to use my blind.

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2018, 08:20:38 AM »
Looks like goose tracks.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »
Looks like goose tracks.
I was just going to make the same reply...  I believe I (maybe) saw one turkey track, but the rest looked like waterfowl...

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=2ad62uH0&id=463131DCC7A4DC894EF6CC4ED503F30B3C7A1ABD&thid=OIP.2ad62uH0snU-ISJqPyGRrgHaFj&mediaurl=http%3a%2f%2fm1.i.pbase.com%2fo4%2f36%2f495936%2f1%2f56067961.tracks_turkey.jpg&exph=600&expw=800&q=turkey+track+pictures&simid=607994533296867525&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.