OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fall calling

Started by monty690, October 07, 2017, 06:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty690

I'm looking for some advise on fall calling. This is the first year that I get to turkey hunt in the fall and the season opens next weekend. What calls or sequence of calls are good for fall hunting?

Chris O

You should post this in the general forum and I bet you will get more replies. I am not a pro fall turkey hunter so I will let the other guys respond

donjuan

The kee kee run is a go to fall call. I like it best on Sadler McGraw's 2.5 Reed ghost cut diaphragm.  Also just soft clucks purrs and yelps to simulate soft flock talk can help.

If you can learn to gobbler Yelp and cluck, that can help with fall gobblers although they don't always come running to a call like they might in the spring.

Scouting and finding the birds is essential. They seem to change locations on me as food sources change from bugs in the grass to acorns to grainfields around here
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

CMBOSTC

"Scouting and finding the birds is essential"!!!

eggshell

Fall birds often have a pattern they follow, more or less. They will roost in one general area and move to  food sources about the same until they change because of weather dictated food availability. Find the birds and learn where they're going to feed and then worry about calling.

I think one of the best rules for fall calling is slow it up and draw it out. You don't hear as much excited calling in the fall. Most of the communication is related to locating each other among the flock. Yelp strings should be a bit slower and strung out to a run of 7-8 long yelps. Short hard clucks will get an answer, but won't necessarily bring birds running. Gobbles and hard purrs will work some too as Gobbler flocks are constantly testing who's dominate. Probably the call everyone should know for fall hunting is the whistle or Kee Kee run. All age groups will answer it and come to it. Young birds rarely resist calling back to a whistle. I also use what I call the chirp. It is a soft musical short yelp that flocks to as they move along. You will often get answers to it when nothing else works. I focus on Gobblers in the fall and my calls are almost exclusive gobbler yelping and hard clucks with an occasional gobble.

Number one is find where the birds are heading and get in their way, as they will rarely deviate very far off course to come to you, unless you find a lone bird that is looking for a flock to join. I do not hunt to bust flocks because it is very rare I get good enough position to get a sufficient bust. At 62 and with both breathing and a tad of heart disease it is an act of futility for me to hunt  to bust flocks. If you do get a bust go after the one loan bird that went completely opposite of the group. 

monty690

Thank y'all, this is good info and I'm going to try to use it.

mufishgrad

It probably varies where you are, but I cover ground with cold calling between diaphragms and pot and peg calls. Where I hunt the fall birds are not very vocal at all once on the ground, but it has not necessarily scared them away when I called. If anything it made the birds more at ease before I could see them and attempt to set-up or break the flock. I mostly use kee kee runs every fifteen minutes or 1/4 mile or so. Recently I've tried incorporating plain and/or gobbler yelps just in case I might have different kinds of flocks around.

Even if I called for another flock type (and not calling terribly loud at first) birds didn't seem to spook before I got there because they recognized another turkey sound. They just chose not to acknowledge it either because it didn't pertain to their flock, or that they didn't feel like talking. I've definitely had to cover more ground in fall than in spring, but once you find the birds you're set.