turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Flying with Gun Case question

Started by WW, October 04, 2017, 01:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

I bought a pelican case for my shotgun and it has 4 lock holes on the side of it. Do I have to put 4 locks in it or can I get by with 1 or 2? How many do you guys that fly with gun cases use?

Rapscallion Vermilion

As of this year I started hearing of the TSA in some airports or agents for some airlines requiring all holes to have locks and people being prevented from checking their guns because of it.  I have a like-keyed set of four for my 4-hole Pelican case and so far have only put two on and have been fine, but I have always had the other two with me in case the TSA folks were to cut a lock for some reason.  Now they also serve as a back-up in case I am required to put locks in the other two holes, but I should probably just get used to putting four locks on and buy a second back-up set.

Some useful information here:
https://www.nrahlf.org/articles/2017/5/20/tsa-rules-recap-air-travel-with-firearms/

FL-Boss

It depends on the airport and airline. TSA has the same inconsistency as all the other government agencies.  In some airports the build in locks are enough.. no need for extra external locks - at least that they told me last year at one airport.  I still use external locks as well...

Ridge

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on October 04, 2017, 03:44:42 PM
As of this year I started hearing of the TSA in some airports or agents for some airlines requiring all holes to have locks and people being prevented from checking their guns because of it.  I have a like-keyed set of four for my 4-hole Pelican case and so far have only put two on and have been fine, but I have always had the other two with me in case the TSA folks were to cut a lock for some reason.  Now they also serve as a back-up in case I am required to put locks in the other two holes, but I should probably just get used to putting four locks on and buy a second back-up set.

This. I also have a set of four keyed alike. I had planned on just using two, and keeping the remaining two as backups as needed. However, on a trip out west this year TSA requested I put a lock in all four holes.

WW

Thanks for the info fellas. I sure hate to buy 8 locks but I guess I will.   4 for backup and 4 on the case.
Wonder if I can get 8 keyed alike..

quavers59

I had 4 locks on my case when I flew dow from New York to hunt  Spring Turkey in TENN. My stopover was Chicago and when I got back to Stewart Airport in New York--my guncase did not make the plane somehow. I got it the next day.

Cove

I have always flown with 2 locks. I know you can't get by with 1 but I've never been told there needs to be more than 2.

g8rvet

Last year when I flew, the friendly TSA agent (I know, an oxymoron usually, but he really was a helpful, friendly dude) said that there was a directive last year for them to ensure that you can't get a hand into the case.  I only had 2 locks on my Pelican and they inspected it for an extra long time.  They did let me fly, but said it was close.  I am glad I saw this, as I fly to SK in 2 weeks and need to get more locks, just to be safe. 

My recommendation, use all 4 holes.  You can also get combo locks and make them all the same as well. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Ozark Ridge Runner

Take a look at the TSA regulations.  They spell it out pretty clearly.  Last time I looked it did't say anything about having all lock holes locked.  As noted above it said secured so that you can't get a hand in the case.  I was given a hard time by TSA about only having two locks on a case.  I searched their regulations at the TSA counter and handid them my phone to read the regulations for themselves.  That ended the discussion right then and there.

bbcoach

Wally world has small locks, normally 4 to a pack, all keyed the same and they won't break the bank.  Keep a key on your person and put a key in your carry on just in case you lose one. 

quavers59

I had 4 on my gun case when I flew down to Spring turkey hunt in TENN twice. I took with me 2 lock spares in case somehow- the baggage handlers at the airport were rough with the case.

mtns2hunt

Incredible the amount of BS that goes on with the TSA. You can't get a steel shimy into my case with only two locks. Glad I'm driving to Florida next year.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Pecker Wrecker Calls

I have an SKB case that I fly with.  Went to Mexico with it this spring.  It has 2 locks made into the case.  Last spring when we went to Oklahoma, they put huge zip ties around all of our cases when we picked them up at our final destination.   Supposedly that was going to make it harder for us to take the gun out and shoot folks when we were leaving the airport.   Sounded super smart to me.  Lol
I like huntin' turkeys, but I love killin' turkeys !!

mgm1955

Depends on the airline. I have the same case. Delta requires a lock in every hole. Had 2 locks in the reinforced holes in the spring and my gun didn't get on the plane. This fall, 4 locks and it did.