OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Squirrel hunting  (Read 4150 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Squirrel hunting
« on: October 03, 2017, 09:32:12 AM »
Last Saturday was the opening day of fall squirrel season here in MS and I was glad to be back in the woods. I heard one barking up ahead of me so I went into slipping mode. Directly I see him move in a tree up ahead so I eased near the tree and sat down to wait for him to move again. After about 3 minutes, he explodes in a panicked barking frenzy near the top of the tree. This was followed up by the mad screaming of a hawk in the same tree. He must have been after the squirrel and missed him. The hawk continued his loud rant and then less than 100 yards behind me, a Tom shock gobbles at the hawk screaming! At that point I don't care if I get any more squirrels for the rest of the hunt as I am a happy, grinning man.

Cheers  ;D

FullChoke

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
Re: Squirrel hunting
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »
It's always great to be in the woods when nature does what nature does best.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 02:04:21 PM »
NO BETTER PLACE THAN ENJOYING GODS CREATION.............
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline TKE921

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 02:35:33 PM »
I squirrel hunted a ton this year.  I forgot just how much I really loved chasing tree rats.  I also learnewd just how much smarter VA public land squirrels are compared to the WV farm squirrels I grew up hunting.  You dare not crack a stick and don't expect them to cut a nut in the same tree they got it from.  I watched one critter go 50 yards after he picked one before he stopped to cut it.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 07:08:48 PM »
Squirrels are fun. Try to hunt them every year. Planning on mowing a few off at the house after they stole my whole bucket of Black Walnuts. I could already tast the cake. LOL
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline MickT

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2018, 09:32:39 PM »
Squirrels are fun. Try to hunt them every year. Planning on mowing a few off at the house after they stole my whole bucket of Black Walnuts. I could already tast the cake. LOL

It’s the best way to recruit lifelong hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk