OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fall strutting?

Started by jims, September 28, 2017, 08:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jims

I'm new to fall turkey hunting.  I was wondering if toms strut/fan their tail feathers much in the fall?

Coop1082

I personally only fall hunt a short amount of time during the year. Bowhunting whitetails runs a really close second behind turkey hunting for me. I tend to fall hunt during the first two weeks of rifle season here in Alabama and that being said, out of the longbeards I've killed in the fall I've never seen one strutting. That number is only 4 so I'm absolutely not a expert on fall hunting, just giving my personal experience.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

High plains drifter

I've never seen one strut in the fall. I do know the big gobblers like to hang out by them selves, but there will be some other gobblers near by, and usually some hens.

Chris O

I can't say I've ever seen one strut in the fall but I have heard a lot of gobbles.I just heard one last weekend while youth deer hunting while it was 80 degrees ( yuck) that gobble brought a smile to my face.I wanted to go after him instead of deer hunting that's for sure.

trkehunr93

I've heard gobbling in the fall that would have made you think it was April and not October.  If you've got a good size gang of gobblers the pecking order being established can go into a frenzy with gobbling, fighting and strutting.  It's just what turkeys do, we just associate it with courtship in the spring when it's more common but gobblers and hens can do it at anytime of the year. 

jims

Thanks for the comments!  The reason I ask is because I've had excellent success in the spring getting up close and personal with toms using a decoy with a fanning tail.  In fact, I've just about been jumped on a couple of times!  I wasn't sure what their reaction to the same thing would be in the fall.  I hunt private land where I don't have to worry about getting shot.  It sounds like toms tend to hang out together in the fall.  It would be pretty exciting getting charged by a group of territorial toms!

jims

I had a feeling the comments would likely come to a hault once I mentioned I was interested in using a turkey tail!

MK M GOBL

Quote from: jims on September 28, 2017, 08:47:35 PM
I'm new to fall turkey hunting.  I was wondering if toms strut/fan their tail feathers much in the fall?

Actually turkeys gobble, strut and maintain their dominance structure throughout the entire year. The peak is in the spring and you will see a bit more activity in fall as they come together to form the winter flocks (dominance issues arise).

MK M GOBL

falltoms

I have seen gobblers strutting in the fall and winter.  I think its more of a dominance factor done in front of other gobblers that time of year.

eggshell

yep I have watched them strut for hours in the fall. I agree it's a male dominance thing

jims

That's exciting news about fall strutting!  I REALLY enjoy taking pics/video of them in the spring.  Hopefully I'll see a few strutters in another week when I head out!

fenderhunt4

Quote from: falltoms on October 03, 2017, 08:22:55 PM
I have seen gobblers strutting in the fall and winter.  I think its more of a dominance factor done in front of other gobblers that time of year.

Yes. And the deeper into fall, the more I notice it.

Bowguy

Correct it is a dominance thing. Less common but happens all year same as gobbling

eggshell

I killed a gobbler Monday morning that was strutting. I watched the group of 5 for probably half an hour strutting, spiring and gobbling. I had to wait for him to come out of strut to shoot.

jims

I just returned from Nebraska.  The hens were grouped up in large flocks.  The toms were mostly separated from the hens and in groups of 4 to 7.  I witnessed some pretty wild stuff with the hens.  As soon as they flew off the roost they were super noisy and chasing eachother around in circles....pretty intense!  Pecking and jumping all over eachother.  At first I thought there were toms in the large flocks that were 3/4 strutting and chasing the hens around.  When I glassed through my spotting scope it was hens at 3/4 strut!  There were over 70 in 1 flock and at times there were 5 to 7 hens at 3/4 strut!  Has anyone else seen this before?

In regard to my original post.  I only found a few groups of toms.  They were super calm...just feeding.  I didn't see any of them fight, gobble, or flare their tails.  I have a feeling once they join the hens in winter flocks the toms will likely get wound up...but right now they seemed mighty complacent.  I didn't have the opportunity to see if my reaping decoy would work.  It would be worth a try but I just didn't have time and that many opportunities to try it.