OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Blue Mahoe box call???

Started by Happy hooker, September 21, 2017, 08:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy hooker

Blue Mahoe is the rage this year in pot calls. Last year it was zebrawood. Blue Mahoe wood calls disappear faster then a swarm of  hungry termites attack.
Wondering why we don't see more box calls made out of this hot material,,dosent it work has a paddle or box option???

CMBOSTC

I have a paddle that I made from Blue Mahoe, I'm trying to find the right combination to match it with.

KentuckyHeadhunter

Pretty sure Marlin Watkins makes a box with Blue Mahoe. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

vt35mag

Marlin makes a mora lid and mahoe box fiddlebox.

Dfxhunter

:deadhorse:that's a sweet looking call TJ

Happy hooker

Chris
I bet that paddle would look cool on Alaskan yellow cedar longbox,,don't know about sound

HookedonHooks

Chris....

100% put that lid on a nice Elder body and sell it to me.

CMBOSTC

The lid is for my new handled short box. I tried it on a black limba box and didn't care for it. I have a cedar box that I'm working on that I'm going to try next.

mgm1955

Quote from: vt35mag on September 21, 2017, 09:02:39 AM
Marlin makes a mora lid and mahoe box fiddlebox.
Got one of these and it's great box!

pauld

I've done one over butter nut and it would RUN. I'm working a box now that'll have persimmon over it.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: pauld on September 25, 2017, 10:21:04 AM
I've done one over butter nut and it would RUN. I'm working a box now that'll have persimmon over it.

Mahoe paddle over BN box? That sounds like a combo that would work really well. I'll try it after I finish my BM paddle over cedar.

KYTURKEY

I have a bloodwood over blue mahoe short box from Neal Impson that is killer. I also have a bloodwood over mahoe long box from Frank Kruer that is sweet.

Patrick

mgm1955

Frank's bloodwood/mahoe is a killer!

Happy hooker

Would a blue mahoe and zebrawood combo work or sound good??,, combining two of the hottest pot call woods into a box,,,a blue mahoe box with a zebrawood paddle would be a real looker.

CMBOSTC

Quote from: Happy hooker on September 27, 2017, 07:39:39 AM
Would a blue mahoe and zebrawood combo work or sound good??,, combining two of the hottest pot call woods into a box,,,a blue mahoe box with a zebrawood paddle would be a real looker.

I don't see why it wouldn't work or sound good. From my experience with BM, if you make the box out of BM, most paddles should run well on it. If you use BM for the paddle you will probably need to use butternut, cedar or some kind of softer wood for the box. I tried a BM paddle on a black limba box and didn't like the sound, I threw a purple heart paddle on the box and it was killer.