OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Treestand harness  (Read 4203 times)

Offline Swampchickin234

• The Boss Gobbler
Treestand harness
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2017, 02:03:52 AM »
Muddy harness is my fav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Treestand harness
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 05:29:12 AM »
Take a look at the Summit safety harnesses. I just picked up the sport model to try out this year and so far, it is the best one that I have used. I've always been a fan of Summit and all of their stuff is top notch and a great company to boot.

Please wear a safety harness.

I lost a friend of mine in November of 2012. Him and his son were sitting in side by side loc on stands, neither wearing a safety harness. They were switching stands so the son could get a shot at nice buck. The steel support cable on one of the stands broke and they were both thrown out. The son suffered a broken hip requiring surgery, a concussion and other cuts and bruises. Jeff, the Dad, landed on the side of chest, rupturing his aorta and killing him within a few minutes of the fall. Not only did the son suffer his injuries, but watched his Dad die on the spot.

Accidents happen and can be deadly. Not wearing a harness is risking everything.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 06:40:39 AM »
 Hunters Safety System makes a very good harness. A couple of years ago I switched to A Scentblocker Tree Spider Micro harness(right at $100). It is much lighter than any of the HSS harnesses I have worn in the past. One thing abought the micro harness is it uses 1" straps instead of 2" like most others. In m event such as a fall, I'm guessing it will "bite" more than than a 2" model.

A lot of camo companies put a slit in the back of the jacket so the harness can be worn under the jacket. My harness and jacket go on at the same time ...like they are a one piece unit.

Like others have mentioned, probably the most dangerous time is when you are transitioning to and from the stand/climbing sticks. I don't use a lifeline, but I ALWAYS make sure I'm hooked to the tree strap before entering/exiting the stand. I purposely set the tree strap at the height I can reach it from the top of my climbing sticks. 

Lots of good info out there about treestand/harness safety. A lot of people don't know/understand that there is more to be being safe than just throwing on a harness....there are does and don'ts.

If you hunt from an elevated stand, PLEASE, for your safety and your family's sake, wear and learn about treestand/harness safety.

Offline Tennessee Lead

• Longbeard
Treestand harness
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 02:15:44 PM »
I've made the switch from a typical tree stand harness to a Rock Climbing harness.
I'm not going back to a tree stand harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline griffman

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 03:41:54 PM »
We have all moved to rock-climbing harnesses and will not be going back to the full body harness.  In fact, I just set up my 13 year old with his rock-climbing harness and he loves it.  PM me if you want specs or details but after seeing what can happen after a 20 foot fall -- wear something.  When I was your age I never wore anything and never listened to anyone -- good for you wanting to make it safe.  From 20 feet it takes less than 2 seconds to hit the ground.

Offline falltoms

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 06:15:51 PM »
I use the hunter safety system. I learned the hard way. I fell 13 feet out of a treestand back in 2006, I was lucky,  I suffered a cracked hip socket,it could have been alto worse. Which ever one you get, where it climbing in and out, and while in tree

Offline MISSISSIPPI Double beard

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2017, 04:33:27 PM »
HSS saved me from serious injury or death a couple of years ago. I will not go up a tree without it. I paid around $50 on ebay for it.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 09:47:59 AM »
Rock climbing harness....it keeps you upright, stable and able to recover.  Youtube has some videos on it.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2017, 11:52:09 PM »
A lot of good information and experience posted. I use the Hunters Safety System actually have two. One I wear when hunting the other when hanging stands as that can be sweaty. I also use a linesman rope which allows me to free up my hands while hanging my stands. I like the  Hunters Safety System because it has a strap that you can step into to relieve  the pressure on the crotch area. Hanging from your harness may stop your fall but not the danger of dying. The straps cause all kinds of circulation issues. As stated previously, plan ahead: your tree strap should be at a height that will arrest your fall but still allow you to climb back in the stand. A spare tree step will allow you to buy time and relieve tension on the arresting strap so that you can cut it and slid down the trunk. I use lifelines on my higher fixed position stands.

I would suggest that you go into your backyard and try hanging from you safety harness and practice climbing back into a tree stand a couple feet off the ground. The experience may save your life.

Once you fall you will be in pain and need to get back in your stand quickly. However, it will take a lot of effort. Heavy clothes, equipment, being out of shape or over weight will make the task difficult. It takes a lot of upper body strength to pull yourself back into your stand if you have set your tree strap too low.

One of the smartest things to do is insure your are awake, alert and not tired prior to getting into your stand. Hunting hard for days on end can wear you down. When I notice that I am starting to struggle getting into my stand I switch to ground blinds. I use a summit climbing stand, hang-on's and ladder stands as well as a portable ground blind.

I love deer hunting but love living much more. Tree stand safety sounds boring but it will have your full attention if you fall. The pain from the harness and incredible difficulty getting back into your stand or relieving the weight on the leg straps to restore circulation or to cut the strap and slide down the trunk is serious stuff. Don't take it for granted. Just my two cents.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Online blake_08

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 08:52:08 AM »
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. There's some great information and advice in this thread, and much of it from experience. I've got a HSS system headed my way and a lifeline and i will for sure get in the yard and check everything out when it gets here. Thanks everyone and be safe out there.

Offline SteelerFan

• Double Beard
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2017, 08:42:59 PM »
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my post. There's some great information and advice in this thread, and much of it from experience. I've got a HSS system headed my way and a lifeline and i will for sure get in the yard and check everything out when it gets here. Thanks everyone and be safe out there.
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: