OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Iowa youth deer opener  (Read 3036 times)

Offline chadly

Iowa youth deer opener
« on: September 17, 2017, 07:33:43 PM »
Saturday was the Iowa opener.  This is my third year taking my oldest son Joshua.  We’ve had success the last two years and it’s been with a lot of work.  The temps are high, crops are up, and the rut is two months away.  Knowing how hard we worked in the past I did bit more scouting this year.  The weather was predicted to be 92 on the opener so we decided we would go out in the morning for a quick sit and be back to camp in time for his and his brother’s soccer games.  We hunted a state piece not far from the campground.  We got settled in early as you never know what to expect on state ground.  To my surprise right at legal shooting hours four bucks were running our way.  I’m not sure what spooked them but they were closing distance fast.  Unfortunately they had the wind in their favor as well as us visually.  They stopped upon seeing us.  The fortunate part of early deer hunting the deer sometimes don’t spook as easy as they would a month later.  They stared and stomped at us.  One was a really good buck.  I ranged him at 123 yards which is farther than I would let my son shoot.  I had him put the gun on the shooting sticks and he was shacking like a leaf and I pretty sure the deer could hear him breathing.  At first he did not breathe at all then he made up for all the lost breaths.  I could see the end of the barrel shaking.  He told me he could make the shot but old dad was not willing to take a shot that I was not 100% confident in.  I minute had passed and the deer turned and left.  As they left I thought about how awesome it have would have been to get photos of son holding this nice buck on opening day.  A second thought entered and that was how awesome it was that I taught my son to never take a compromised shot.  We began talk and celebrate that we had seen four deer almost to the minute of the opener.  Last year we never saw a single deer the first five sits.  Life was good and we had success in our hunt seeing deer.  About a half hour or so passed and a lone buck came across the field.  He was not very big but a trophy to my son.  I could see this was going to work out perfect if we just stayed calm.  Joshua started shaking again and I’m sure the deer sense our excitement.  I had to chuckle as Josh’s lips were quivering.  I remember he did that last year too.  I just ranged the deer at 71 yards had Josh put the gun on the sticks.  I told him to calm down take a few deep breaths.  I told him this deer was his if he could just relax.  I said if I see you hold the gun steady with no shaking I will let you shoot.  He started breathing and clicked the safety off.  The deer turned broad side and he fired.  The air was filled with smoke and I did not see what happened or where the deer ran to.  Josh said he thought it disappeared.  It was at that point that I realized how shook up I was too.  I went to reload and I struggle to get the powder pellets down the barrel.  You got to love that adrenalin rush.  We gave it about ten minutes then our curiosity got the best of us and we slowly crept out to look for blood.  This would tell us how to proceed.  The buck laid dead in tracks.  Life is good and God is great.  To him be the glory.  Good luck to you all and get those kids out hunting. 

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
Re: Iowa youth deer opener
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 04:52:29 AM »
Nice job my son and I went Saturday morning alll we saw were  a couple turkeys and 2 yearlings that still had some spots. We didn't go Sunday because of the rain and I had to help some friends on their house. Nice to see someone had some luck. Congrats

Offline turkey harvester

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
Very nice buck Joshua!!!! Congrats
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
 Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Offline dutch@fx4

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 11:26:15 AM »
Fantastic. Lessons that will last a life time. Well done

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »
Very nice, congrats to the young man!!!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Farmboy27

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2017, 05:35:34 PM »
Congrats to Joshua!  I'd happily take that buck. Great job to you both.

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 05:57:57 PM »
Very nice! Lots of Iowa youth showing off their trophies on Facebook the last few days.  I might have seen Josh and his buck already.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
Congrats....It doesn't get much better than spending a day hunting with ones child...

Offline chadly

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 09:13:43 PM »
Congrats....It doesn't get much better than spending a day hunting with ones child...
Thanks guys.  I did not post on facebook.  You fine folks are the only ones I bragged to.  I'm curious as though how would I find the photos of the youth Iowa kills.  we just finished a meal of fresh tenderloin.  One of the finest meals a person could have.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 09:43:32 PM »
Congratulations to the successful hunter! :happy0064:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline 2eagles

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 08:10:17 AM »

I'm curious as though how would I find the photos of the youth Iowa kills.
[/quote]

Several youth pics on Bowhunters of Iowa (Iowa only) on Facebook. It's a closed group though so you might have to join if you want to see the pics.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »
Iowa sportsman probably has some on their site

Offline idratherb

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 09:19:02 PM »
good for you guys! Well done

Offline Gawhitaker

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 06:29:02 AM »
Nice buck, Congratulations Joshua  :icon_thumright:
As i can tell you do, these days are to be cherished, for they sure grow up fast !

Offline chadly

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 09:30:15 AM »
As i can tell you do, these days are to be cherished, for they sure grow up FAST !
They do grow up so Fast.  Life is so Fast.  I'm really blessed as I have also have an 8 yr old daughter and twin 6 yr old boys.  All who love to fish with me and beg for me take them hunting.  I almost took my daughter this year since my son lucked out the first day and this would give me plenty of time with her.  However while she is old enough and mature enough she is very petite weighing in around 47 lbs.  Even my son's youth mossberg 500 20ga is too big for her and I don't want her to be hurt by the kick.  My wife and I share in homeschooling the kids.  I've added gun safety and shooting to this years curriculum.  It will be a repeat for my oldest but the three younger it will be really good for.  Maybe this spring I might get my daughter out turkey hunting.  She just needs to get bigger and I need to get her proficient in shooting.