OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Playing in the humidity  (Read 2196 times)

Offline TKE921

Playing in the humidity
« on: September 17, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »
So despite my best efforts I can not for the life of me play a glass call or a crystal call in the summer humidity.  From January until mid may I can split your eardrums with my Crystal Mistress...but it just sounds like a lame duck now.  Does anyone else have this problem?

FWIW:  I have a Bill Lyman single slate, and another lesser slate that I can play now and they sounnd just like it was opening day of WV season.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Playing in the humidity
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 03:32:50 PM »
Living in SC, humidity is a way of life throughout the majority of the year. I have had calls that were sensitive but they were sent packing or stay on the rack. My Crystal Screamer plays in the humidity and can dunk it in water and pull it out to play. Never had a problem with my Carolina Assassin either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: Playing in the humidity
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 03:54:11 PM »
Chalk on your striker helps' Lonzo sends pool cue chalk with his call

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:20:14 PM »
I played my calls a lot this summer with high humidity.I would have to set my calls outside for awhile to let them sweat from taking them out of the air conditioning.My metallic calls I would wipe them off with my shirt after they sweated the moisture out and my slates I could see where they looked wet for awhile and would gradually get back to their natural gray color.All of my calls would play fine after They got to the same temperature as outside and quit sweating.A carbon fiber striker helps them play while they're sweating and have moisture on them

Offline Coop1082

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 09:29:17 PM »
If your worried about it in the woods (for glass/crystal) the best thing I've found to do is a quick wipe on a shirt sleeve to clear the condensation and go over your already conditioned area with your choice of paper or screen. Should run well and the longer it stays outside and adjusts the better it'll get.  I'm in south Alabama and moisture is high all the time during just about all months. As far as aluminum surfaces go, I've broke away from anodized surfaces and use stoned or bead blasted only to help fight the issue. Slate I still struggle with, but I'm going to try the "lighter trick"  one day soon and see if it helps hold the moisture out.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:40:21 PM »
Maybe try to take a loaf of bread and play the pot on top of a slice.... If that doesn't work atleast you won't be hungry.

:funnyturkey: :funnyturkey: :funnyturkey: :funnyturkey:

Online outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 09:44:01 PM »
I LEAVE MINE UNDER THE SEAT , FOR A WEAK OR SOO AND DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS AT ALL
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Happy hooker

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 05:31:33 PM »
Agree with David,,,Crystal screamer handles it,,here in Minnesota people associate cold but with 10,000 lakes it's humid and springs are sloppy wet, snow,sleet,rain. The CS plays true.

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 09:46:10 PM »
So despite my best efforts I can not for the life of me play a glass call or a crystal call in the summer humidity.  From January until mid may I can split your eardrums with my Crystal Mistress...but it just sounds like a lame duck now.  Does anyone else have this problem?

FWIW:  I have a Bill Lyman single slate, and another lesser slate that I can play now and they sounnd just like it was opening day of WV season.

I just posted a video the other day of me playing a Mike Yingling call outside in the rain. Crystal over slate. It's in the Pot Call Soundfiles section, if you're interested.

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 10:38:36 PM »
People tend to forget that calls made out of a living organism, will react to their surroundings.  Much the same way
as you do!  All you can do is what others have already stated.  That, and find materials that work well together  wet.
My advice is use an acrylic striker on a non slate surface.  Glass, ceramic, copper, and aluminum will all run well with an
Acrylic striker with water on the surface.  The down side is, acrylic cant take any side pressure.  Meaning if you sit on it,
It'll snap in 1/2 quicker than you can say $##!.  So you have to protect it.  The up side is, acrylic runs so easily on these
Surfaces, a kid could run it, when other strikers get finicky with the weather.