OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Black Walnuts  (Read 1811 times)

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
Black Walnuts
« on: September 17, 2017, 07:39:23 AM »
Along with all the acorns I saw, I also saw lots of Black Walnuts on the ground on my bike ride last night. Anybody pick em up? If so any advice/tips or anything I should know before eating them? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Double B

• Longbeard
Re: Black Walnuts
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 07:51:24 AM »
You can use the outer husks/shells to boil traps with and colors them like black dye.  Like logwood crystals only free. 

Its tedious getting the meats out with normal hand tools but delicious.   My mom used to make walnut pudding,  sweet and syrupy on the bottom with a little cake on top, flip it over, pour some milk or cream  on it.......wow.
Followed by buzzards

Offline MickT

Black Walnuts
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 07:55:49 AM »
They are a bear to crack. The one time I attempted it, I used a bench vise to crack them on all 3 axes before trying to dig the meat out.
This was after power washing the rotten hulls off. Good, yes, but I'll buy my walnuts from now on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 03:41:12 PM »
Hull Walnuts by putting on gravel driveway and running over with truck. Normally leave mine four a week. Wash then crack with hammer and adjustale plers is way I'vve always done it. To be politically correct wear saftey glasses and gloves. :blob10:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline redjones

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 09:15:42 PM »
Haven't cracked any in years,but when I was growing up I did thousands of them.
Not that any method is better than another,we put them in bushel baskets and let the hulls get soft then poured them on a tarp that was laid on our concrete driveway.
We had old rubber boots that we would use to walk on the nuts to separate the hulls,most of the hulls should separate if they are soft enough,didn't have any kind of rubber gloves back then so it was plain jane jersey gloves,then lay the nut in the sun to dry for a couple of days.
Then back into the bushel baskets to be cracked when possible,I had a 4# hammer that worked great for this,just need some kind of hard surface to crack them on,concrete,piece of rail,etc.
Its tedious work,wish I had a good steel dental pick back then that would have helped a bunch.
The actual meat of the nut has a very strong favor that some people don't care for,in the late 60's till the mid 70's they were all my mother used for her Christmas baking.
And what was not needed were given away or sold for a little extra pocket change.
Anyways if you decide to try them don't give up to quick its a time consuming task but worth the effort.

Greg
Semper Fi

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:57:24 PM »
We used gunny sacks to collect them and then hang them until soft, kept the skins in the sack to be press for the oil. We used it for wood stain/varnish. We also had a home made press to crack the nuts, made easy work out of that. Used metal picks to get the "meat" out of them. Had caramelized them in sugar water and used for ice cream topping and to make pies.

MK M GOBL

Offline turkeyfoot

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2017, 09:29:12 AM »
bench vice works well if you got pretty hand better wear gloves they will stain and bad I've cracked probably thousands over years the sack on gravel driveway works too if needing bulk

Offline dutch@fx4

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 11:30:10 AM »
I always thought you had to roasts then first before eating them.we have a monster walnut tree across the road at are old place .one year the kids and I fill the box if the pickup truck half full of walnuts that had dropped on the lawn.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 02:51:39 PM »
Along with all the acorns I saw, I also saw lots of Black Walnuts on the ground on my bike ride last night. Anybody pick em up? If so any advice/tips or anything I should know before eating them? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting. Checked trail cams this am and noticed about twenty Walnut trees dropping. Put a milk crate in back of the truck to pick up a load tomorrow. Christmass is coming and I do like my cakes and in my opinion black Walnuts give a unique flavor. Stronger than English Walnuts. It may be an acquried taste but I like them. Last time we bought some in the store the cost was sky high. Why buy when the ground is littered with them. Most of the time they are free for the asking. LOL, there are uses for Walnut other than Turkey calls.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »
Black Walnut Trees are really dropping them this year!!. A new portion of the Heritage Trail opened in Monroe and there are Black Walnut trees in this area.