OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Map Scouting Accuracy  (Read 2767 times)

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Map Scouting Accuracy
« on: September 15, 2017, 01:31:26 AM »
So I've been doing a TON of scouting in the off season with HuntStand trying to determine some the potential of new spots to hunt this Spring. The one thing I keep coming back to in a lot of these places I've never set foot on, is whether or not I should actually trust what I'm seeing on the maps will hold turkeys. Obviously I won't be able to confirm any of my suspicions until Spring rolls around.

So basically what I'm wondering is how accurately you guys can judge whether or not a place will hold turkeys just by looking at maps.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
Re: Map Scouting Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 06:44:19 AM »
Man I'm good but I'm not THAT good, lol. I need my boots on the ground.

Offline Double B

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 08:33:32 AM »
I use Huntstand app for the past several years to sucvessfully cyber scout new public land for deer and turkey.  In my experience it is very accurate as the terrain, vegetation,  and access are clearly visible.  I like to swap terrain view and land view to understand elevation and get different views, it's a great app.   Boots on ground after that to confirm or eliminate areas for sign, animal and human traffic, etc. 

If you know where turkeys usually like to roost, they will likely be in similar spots in the new area, but they are turkeys, so no guarantee!
Followed by buzzards

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 02:51:32 PM »
I use Huntstand app for the past several years to sucvessfully cyber scout new public land for deer and turkey.  In my experience it is very accurate as the terrain, vegetation,  and access are clearly visible.  I like to swap terrain view and land view to understand elevation and get different views, it's a great app.   Boots on ground after that to confirm or eliminate areas for sign, animal and human traffic, etc. 

If you know where turkeys usually like to roost, they will likely be in similar spots in the new area, but they are turkeys, so no guarantee!

I LOVE HunStand. Especially the parcel info. Killed my bird on a piece of SGL that I know no one outside of bordering land owners would even know was there. Granted, I had to hike 2 miles just to get to it, but if the trade off for hiking is birds on State land that aren't pressured then I'd wager anyone on this forum would take that trade.

I try to study the terrain features and vegetation of the places I've ever seen turkeys in during the spring and apply them to new chunks of real estate. I'm just trying to figure out how confident I should be as I'm on my way to do my boot leather scouting.

Offline falltoms

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 08:20:08 PM »
I order and use topo maps of the area I want to hunt. It can pay off. I look for points, saddles and benches in mountain terrain. But burning boot leather is by far the best scouting tool you have

Offline Double B

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 10:53:47 PM »
Another thing I like to do is stop by the forestry office and ask to see any updated parcels or land aquisitions.   I love the paper usgs quads too and update them w anything new near me.   I also ask them about controlled burns scheduled in early spring and check their forest plans, sopa i think its called for future projects.

Compton30 are you using the  premium Huntstand or just the free one.....thats all I use.   My favorite hunting app and I tried a bunch , the wind cone for deer hunting is excellent to scout public, not to mention solunar, etc.   :icon_thumright:
Followed by buzzards

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 08:15:10 AM »
Another thing I like to do is stop by the forestry office and ask to see any updated parcels or land aquisitions.   I love the paper usgs quads too and update them w anything new near me.   I also ask them about controlled burns scheduled in early spring and check their forest plans, sopa i think its called for future projects.

Compton30 are you using the  premium Huntstand or just the free one.....thats all I use.   My favorite hunting app and I tried a bunch , the wind cone for deer hunting is excellent to scout public, not to mention solunar, etc.   :icon_thumright:

I use the premium one. It's unbeatable for the price and just sheer amount of information you get. I love it

Offline Double B

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 08:34:57 AM »
Thanks, good to hear, I've been impressed with the freebie.    I'll probably upgrade and use the premium package this fall in my pursuits. Getting ready with a few more tree stand placements, including a creek crossing I spied on Huntstand.  ;D
Followed by buzzards

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 01:01:14 AM »
For 12 bucks or whatever it is a year it's tough to beat. I probably use it even more on the computer than I do on the app. Hopefully my percentage of places scouted that I've never physically been to is at least close to 50%.