OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Wasn't expecting this

Started by Tennessee Lead, September 16, 2017, 12:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tennessee Lead

A good friend of mine is a duck hunter.
He's been carrying me along the early season the last 3 years.
During turkey season he found a place that beavers have flooded and wanted to try during duck season.
Well we met up and got there early and set up a few of his hand carved decoys in the water. Shortly after shooting time Wood ducks began zipping through the timber. It was awesome.

Well the action slowed down and we were visiting with each other and heard wings.
He looks around and said "A turkey just lit in that cottonwood "
I was in disbelief until I saw it with my own eyes.  Sure enough a turkey flew in and lit in the tree.
This tree is 75 yards from the edge of dry land and surrounded by a good half a mile long swamp.
I thought it was pretty funny.
Definitely a moment I'll remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris O

That is probably a good way to stay away from some of the predators. I can just picture a bunch of wood ducks dumping in on That spot it sure looks fun .

chcltlabz

I killed a turkey duck hunting one day.  We went in to a beaver dam for an afternoon duck hunt during fall turkey season.  Just after we set up, someone obviously busted a flock of turkeys on the hill above us.  The first bird that sailed over the decoys took my by surprise until I realized what it was.  The second bird wasn't so lucky.

The dog got probably one of the only turkey water retrieves.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

outdoors

Yup down hear the turkeys roost in the swamp for protection
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

mgm1955

g8rvet

On an early hunt here for woodies several years back we shot at the first that came in.  About 75 yards behind us, we heard a commotion as turkey flew off the limb.  We spun around and watched it fly over 200 yards to the dry ground,  We were in a wooded pond, not a swamp! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.