OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Osceolas and Hurricane Irma  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Jhp148

Osceolas and Hurricane Irma
« on: September 13, 2017, 05:50:25 PM »
What are you guys thoughts? Is the Osceola in trouble after Irma? I had a trip lined up to go hunt this bird. Been hearing it might take a few years until it would be worth going. Any thoughts ?

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 06:05:49 PM »
God Lord made animals tough. They will be just fine. Biggest problem would be the woods being tore up making it hard to move about, the birds will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
Re: Osceolas and Hurricane Irma
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »
I agree.  It's just going to be tougher for hunters to get around.   Most of he birds probably survived.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:51:06 PM »
My guess would be that since this wasn't during the nesting season birds will be just fine. Of course we don't get hurricanes here in WI...

MK M GOBL

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:20:59 PM »
It would seem best for the real bad wind to come during the daytime...when the birds are on the ground. They can hunker down and ride it out like all the other critters.

However, with this storm the bad winds came at night. Who knows what a turkey does roosting and  the winds start gusting at 60+.   Maybe they get down to lower branches and hang on tight.  Or maybe they get on the ground if it gets bad enough? My guess is their instinct is too strong to get on the ground at night...they would probably rather die.

Overall, these birds are tough.. and the winds in Central Fla (Osceola parts) didn't get too out of control..  The Keys, Naples, Fort Myers got the worst when it comes to wind speeds

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 07:45:35 AM »
Have a game camera running in Hardee County.  If it survived I'll post some pictures from it later.  I won't pick it up for at least a week.  Nesting season was well over so things should be ok.

Offline VaTuRkStOmPeR

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 09:45:21 AM »
I've heard reports that the birds in south central around okeechobee are fine and out all over the place.  I'd like to know what is being seen further south around the glades.

It'll make a big difference regarding when and where I start my 2018 season.

Offline ChiefBubba

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 05:40:52 PM »
Here in South Florida I saw a couple birds walking around on one of the WMAs the day it hit. They were looking wet but okay. Saw a small flock on another piece of private property looking okay. Bubba

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 11:11:49 PM »
Texted to Swamp Gobblers last week. Irma seems to have had little affect on the Turkeys. In fact sent me a picture of a couple of 2.5 year old's. Looked pretty healthy to me. They did get about 20 inches of rain in 72 hours. Can't even begin to imagine that!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 08:25:04 AM »
MOTHER NATURE DOES WHAT MOTHER NATURE DOES

KEY DEER SERVIVED THE KEYS
TURKEYS HAVE A , ALOT BETTER CHANCE .........
HUNT. HUNT. HUNT
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field