OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Barrel Length

Started by qbaker, September 04, 2017, 02:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qbaker

Is it most common to hunt with an 18", or 22" barrel?  What's the significance in pattern etc.?

silvestris

With any shotgun/choke/shell there is an optimal barrel length.  I try to get my birds within 35 yards and prefer a shorter barrel for easy handling and to prevent the gun from getting hung up on brush.  I will leave the long shots for others.  There is a reason for carrying a caller.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Ihuntoldschool

22 is more common than 18 but I would not necessarily say 22 is the most common.   Choke determines pattern not barrel length.  Having said that a 22 inch barrel will allow you to shoot 4 inches farther than an 18 inch barrel.

HoustonHutch12

I hunt with a 28in barrel. My reason for it is I get a lot of long shots where I hunt and birds get pressured a lot during the season. I'll shoot out to 55 yards depending on the location. Most of my shots are around 40 yards.

For chokes I'm using one that carlson makes for the long bird xr rounds. They pattern supper tight! But I also heard the 3rd degrees are really good. I would get a box of 3rd dregees. At 35 yards they will get the job done.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I would argue that neither of those barrel lengths are that common in the turkey woods. I'd be willing to bet 26" is the most common with 24" being second most popular.

Shorter barrels reduce muzzle velocity and generally speaking, tend to produce less dense patterns (this is not a steadfast rule).

I have two 24" turkey guns and two 26" turkey guns.  I have never seen a 28" barreled gun produce a pattern that would make me reconsider carrying a 26" gun but I have seen plenty of 22 and 23" guns produce patterns that verified why I prefer 24-26". 

MK M GOBL

Vote: short answer is
In mine/our setups we run with shorter barrels.

Not trying to sound preachy about this but here it is...

Anymore this is of no concern to me, my hunts may differ than yours. I have no " I need this choke" "I need this ammo" I/We use a basic setup no matter what. We use 12ga and 20ga, a "turkey tube" and turkey loads (in most cases) and a scope (make sure we are dead-on at 15yards) and that's all I/We need, I have come to this conclusion after many, many years. Like I said this is what works for me and those that hunt with me and there are times I hunt with and without a blind, with and without decoys it just all depends on the hunt.

Why you ask, my game is range. I have never run into a bird that I/We can not put down when under 20 yards and have a good clean shot, and yes my range is the 15-17 yard game with the shotgun (one reason every gun is scoped). When I started turkey hunting I was told all about the importance of chokes, ammo and such but over the years I have come up with it's not that important to me. I can't even think of a bird I/We have pulled a trigger on over 20 yards anymore, and our bow game is even closer.

Like I say this is my game, everyone hunts a different hunt. It is my choice to hunt this way, my challenge to put a longbeard within that 20 yard window.

Beyond this I am not the expert on the Choke/Barrel/Ammo match up and I am sure others can help you with that.

MK M GOBL

idgobble

I like a 24 inch barrel.

Double B

I like the shorter barrels for maneuverability.  Barrel is lower than my head when it's slung over my shoulder, goes right under limbs with me.   And swimgimg the barrel can be easier with less length to avoid saplings, etc.  I haven't noticed a loss if velocity or killing power at 40.   
Followed by buzzards

Greg Massey

With a 21 inch barrel and choke your going to have around 22 or more inches depending on the choke ...

Gobble!

With good shells (TSS, HeviSHot, or Winchester Longbeards) barrel length is insignificant. I have a 23" barrel and wouldn't consider going longer. I'm also 6'4" so walking through low hanging vegetation is already a pain.

dzsmith

Quote from: qbaker on September 04, 2017, 02:49:41 PM
Is it most common to hunt with an 18", or 22" barrel?  What's the significance in pattern etc.?

21" is pretty common, so is 22". the truth is once you cut it down so far you start cutting into your pattern distance. truly in most instances anything under 23-24" will start hindering you. so its a small sacrifice for ergonomics of carrying a shorter gun through the timber. I carry a 21" barrel myself. I still have a full length 28" barrel and with the same choke at 40 yards it puts 20-30 more pellets on paper in a 10" circle consistently than my 21" barrel. It also has a slightly tighter pattern at 20 yards, while the 21" allows a little more blowout for the up close shots. I do not regret carrying the 21" barrel, it definetly helps when you have to make a move in those tight spots. and when im still well over 200 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards the 20-30 more pellets with the long barrel do not make a difference to me.  :OGturkeyhead:
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

BottomLand54

21,22,24,26,28 doesnt matter to me. as long as it shoots where i aim it thats all that matters

shells

lead, copper plated lead, heavier then lead, tss shoot whatever you want

chokes

modified, full, extra full whatever you want to shoot

gun brand

whatever you want to buy

caliber

whatever you want to shoot.

its really all up to you.

Marc

Some years ago, I patterned several barrel lengths on a Benelli M-1.  Not much difference between the 28" and 26" barrels, but we started to see some pattern degradation at 24" (although not much and we were patterning for waterfowl loads, not turkey loads).

With shorter barrels, you are apt to see some degree of pattern degradation as well as a decrease in pellet velocity; although unless you are really reaching out there, it will likely not be significant.

Being a wing/clay shooter, I would not go shorter than 26" and for an all-around field gun, I am apt to stick with a 28" barrel, primarily due to a longer barrel generally having a smoother swing...

Shorter barrels will also have a louder report...

Were I to have a dedicated turkey weapon, I would likely be looking at a 24" barrel...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.