OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Anyone use a side by side. I have the chance at owning one

Started by shedhunta, August 27, 2017, 05:09:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shedhunta

Have the opportunity to buy an old Stevens 311 H in 20 gauge 3" chamber for 150$ and a case of beer.  Was thinking about threading barrels and using it for turkey.  Any pro's or cons to using a side by side. 

Chris O

I bought a sxs 20 ga a few years ago at an auction and had my cousin who was taking gunsmith classes refinish It and it turned out beautiful. I took it to the trap range to have a little fun and it wouldn't fire half the time so I took it to another gunsmith and he found that If you shoot the more open choke barrel first it works flawlessly, but if you just try to fire the full choke it doesn't work well.It has double triggers and fixed chokes because it is older,but I would love to take it out and kill a turkey with it but it is still at the gunsmith house and I doubt if he gets it to fire the tight choke barrel first.So make sure it functions every possible way, but there is just something sweet about heading to the woods with a sxs and it sounds like a pretty good deal.

cuppednlocked

I recently purchased a similar Stevens 311 Series H 20 gauge.  Mine has 3" chambers and 28" barrels that are choked full/mod.  It needed a little TLC but I believe I have everything working right. I'm planning on patterning some Heavyweight and TSS. 

It will be with me in the woods next spring if I can find a shell that works.  I may even take it to the dove field in a few days.

bobk

I have been hunting with a sxs   for  years.. It truly adds to the hunt.

diyj98

You may find the barrels don't shoot to the same point of aim.  That would be my biggest concern. It's often an issue with the cheaper doubles.  Tight turkey chokes could amplify the problem.

shedhunta

Thanks for the info guys.  Ended up passing on the gun