turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How well do turkeys survive hurricanes?

Started by Gamblinman, August 25, 2017, 10:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gamblinman

I ask because my lease will take a direct hit from Hurricane Harvey.
"I don't hunt turkeys because I want to. I hunt turkeys because I have to."

LaLongbeard

Depends on how bad the wind gets and the duration of the storm. This years turkeys will be the most in danger. I have a friend that said his lease was over run with turkeys before 2005 hurricanes hit Louisiana after Rita it was almost void of turkeys. The high winds blow them from the roost and they are injured by flying debris and can't fly after that the bobcats and coyotes have easy pickings. Hopefully this one will be mostly rain which won't be as devastating to the population.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

NCbowjunkie

I dont know but I will ask one of the gobblers that Harvey transplanted here in NC  lol .

bbcoach

They should be able to handle the wind by staying on the ground in protected areas.  My worries would be the 30 to 50 inches of rain that you guys are getting for a week. Drowning should be a major concern.   My heart and prayers are with ALL of you around Houston.  Eastern NC has seen it's fair share of hurricanes and rain the last few years and we can relate to what is happening there.  Tough to see all the devastation that is a part of this storm.

tha bugman

I have heard some crazy stories of turkeys staying in the trees for a while during flooding on the MS river.  I am sure if they hunker down and hang on they will be fine...