turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone Shoot a 7x57 mauser?

Started by 870BkWht, August 25, 2017, 08:29:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

870BkWht

So Ive always wanted a nice Winchester Mod 70 Featherweight and my dad being the gun aficionado he is had known this for a while.  A couple of weeks ago he called me and told me to stop by his house.  He surprised me by giving me a Featherweight chambered in a 7x57mm Mauser. 

So.... Him and I have been working up a load, and I have purchased some brass for reloading , but I am looking for more. 

I was wondering if any of you guys out there shoot one of these and if your not saving your spent brass, would you be willing to save some for me?  I would be willing to buy any brass from any of you guys if your not using it.

If you have any would you care to shoot me a PM or email me at benjaminkh182@gmail.com

Thanks
Ben

silvestris

Probably only one who "had" a Mauser would have spare brass.  I think you will love the 7x57.  It's a fine a deer cartridge there is.  If WDM Bell found it good enough for him on elephants, I decided it was good enough for me on deer.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

870BkWht

Quote from: silvestris on August 25, 2017, 03:55:03 PM
Probably only one who "had" a Mauser would have spare brass.  I think you will love the 7x57.  It's a fine a deer cartridge there is.  If WDM Bell found it good enough for him on elephants, I decided it was good enough for me on deer.

Your probably right about finding the spare brass, but I thought it might be worth a shot.  There's always someone out there who shoots a rareish caliber that doesn't reload I guess.

I look forward to using this gun as it once belonged to a beloved friend of my family.   This man was very instrumental in both my father's and my hunting career, constantly offering advice, gifting numerous reloading items, looking after the local gun club and so on. After he passed, his wife sold it to a mutual friend of him and my father and he was the one who sold it to my father.

This gun is going to make a great sister gun for my Remington 700 .270win.

silvestris

A hunt on the web will likely find you some brass.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

owlhoot

Remington brassard Cabela's is 29.99
I would get new brass as some used or once fired may come from old sloppy military chambers. That will make one very nice deer slayer.154 grain hornady SST will be a good choice for a deer bullet.They do a great job at 2700-2900 fps from my experience.

dutch@fx4

My buddy has one in a Remington mountain rifle. He loves it.great little deer rifle.. he has just put a new scope on it and gave it to his grandson. .hope to Carrie on the family tradition.

Farmboy27

Killed several deer with one. My grandfather had model 70 feather weight. He always told me that it was my gun some day. Some how my cousin ended up with it. I'm still sour about it.

Cut N Run

The 7 x 57 is definitely a fine deer cartridge.  I had a '93 Mauser in 7 x 57 that I killed both whitetail and mule deer with.  Unfortunately, I sold the brass and dies with the gun. 

Your Dad chose a nice gift to give you. I also own a couple of Winchester Model 70 Featherweights that I will only part with when I die.  I started hunting with the .308 in 1981 and the other is .30/06, which I bought around 15 years ago.  Each has a Leupold VXIII 2.5 x 8 x 36 compact scope on top that really balances the gun nicely. I lost count of how many deer I've killed with them, it is something between 50-60 I'd guess. I've had zero troubles from either rifle.

I wish you decades of successful hunting & loads of enjoyment from your rifle.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.