OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Banded birds

Started by Chris O, August 20, 2017, 11:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris O

Yeah that is awesome!!! Bird #3 was a dandy.None of the birds moved to far Did they.Could you see the transmitters before you shot?Did you know that the DNR was doing the study?some of those goose guys might get jealous of all your bands. Thanks for sharing

chcltlabz

The bird in my avatar was killed in 2003 in Maryland.  It was part of a trap and transfer done by the state, and the second banded bird we killed on that farm.  He was at least 5 years old and hadn't traveled far from the transfer.

In 2007, I was in the black hills and shot a banded Merriams.  He was 3 years old and spurless.  He had traveled quite a ways from where he was banded.  50 miles of mostly prairie if I remember right.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Chris O

Wow 50 miles seems like a long long ways. He must not have liked his surroundings or got beat up and kicked out of a few spots.Interesting stuff thanks for sharing

Will

Quote from: chcltlabz on September 20, 2017, 09:26:30 AM
The bird in my avatar was killed in 2003 in Maryland.  It was part of a trap and transfer done by the state, and the second banded bird we killed on that farm.  He was at least 5 years old and hadn't traveled far from the transfer.

In 2007, I was in the black hills and shot a banded Merriams.  He was 3 years old and spurless.  He had traveled quite a ways from where he was banded.  50 miles of mostly prairie if I remember right.

If you don't mind me asking what part of Maryland?
Thanks

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Chris O on August 27, 2017, 09:21:28 PM
Yeah that is awesome!!! Bird #3 was a dandy.None of the birds moved to far Did they.Could you see the transmitters before you shot?Did you know that the DNR was doing the study?some of those goose guys might get jealous of all your bands. Thanks for sharing

Nope, plenty of good habitat in the area so they had no reason to move far. I had no clue either bird had a transmitter on it. In fact, I was so ecstatic over the band on the first one I killed, it took me 15 minutes to realize it had a transmitter too! ha. I found out about the study while planning my hunt. So I did know there were banded and radio-wearing birds in the area.

Chris O

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on September 23, 2017, 07:22:27 AM
Quote from: Chris O on August 27, 2017, 09:21:28 PM

Nope, plenty of good habitat in the area so they had no reason to move far. I had no clue either bird had a transmitter on it. In fact, I was so ecstatic over the band on the first one I killed, it took me 15 minutes to realize it had a transmitter too! ha. I found out about the study while planning my hunt. So I did know there were banded and radio-wearing birds in the area.
Awesome story thanks for sharing. I just heard of a similar story from a friend but a totally different animal.He was out doing chores and kicked up a coyote out of a draw and it had a little yellow ear tag on it. I don't know if the DNR is doing a study or If it came out of a coyote pen that they use to train hounds but kind of neat anyway. I would love to get a banded turkey they make a very nice trophy congrats on yours.

chcltlabz

Quote from: Will on September 20, 2017, 04:12:55 PM
Quote from: chcltlabz on September 20, 2017, 09:26:30 AM

Thanks
Central.  Baltimore County
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

Will

Thanks
[/quote]
Central.  Baltimore County
[/quote]

Thanks. I had heard stories of banded birds in the late 90's early 2000's on the southern Eastern Shore of Maryland. I was curious if the boost in birds in the Central part of the state was because of transplants resulting in banded birds. Congrats!

Will

Congrats to you guys that kill banded turkeys. I've been waterfowling for a little while now and have recovered one band from a goose. I've seen three other bands recovered on a hunt so for those of you that have tagged banded turkeys I applaud you. A rare and true trophy in my book.

chcltlabz

Waterfowl and turkeys, banded birds are almost exclusively luck.  There's no added skill in killing one with a band versus without, but they're a cool trophy and story.

Chris O

Quote from: chcltlabz on September 27, 2017, 12:55:45 PM
Waterfowl and turkeys, banded birds are almost exclusively luck.  There's no added skill in killing one with a band versus without, but they're a cool trophy and story.
very true some luck involved and They aren't chosen because they're the smartest turkey. I like the fact that you find out some info about the bird.The one that my dad got another local hunter had called him in before season and saw the band on his leg and was going to try to get him when season opened but my dad was lucky enough to get him first. There's been some interesting stories so thanks for sharing

Gobble!

Never have but think it would be very cool.