turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Snake wood strikers

Started by Chris O, August 19, 2017, 10:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris O

I keep hearing about these and want to try one and would appreciate some input.What surface do you think they sound the best on?Who do you think makes the best one?Are they worth the extra money compared to something like Macaser Ebony? I saw Lyman,Cox,Sinclair and maybe Stuckey and Torman sell them.Are there any others to consider?If you don't want to make someone have hard feelings you can P.M. me. Thanks for any info I just want to hear some reviews before I spend 60$ or more on a striker.

Bowguy

Fowlers are really good and only less than 1/2. Take a look at his website.
Run them on all Tyrone of calls.

Coop1082

Only have a Lyman snakewood. I am very fond of it on just about any aluminum pot it touches. A lot of people like it on crystal/glass as well but that's a bit more "pot specific" for me when it comes to that surface. It sounds incredible on some and on others while it sounds good, other strikers suit the said  call more. It runs slate really well also. I guess to summarize it's killer on aluminum and really good on just about any other surface. A great all around striker and one that will always stay in my vest!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Coop1082 on August 19, 2017, 10:47:53 PM
Only have a Lyman snakewood. I am very fond of it on just about any aluminum pot it touches. A lot of people like it on crystal/glass as well but that's a bit more "pot specific" for me when it comes to that surface. It sounds incredible on some and on others while it sounds good, other strikers suit the said  call more. It runs slate really well also. I guess to summarize it's killer on aluminum and really good on just about any other surface. A great all around striker and one that will always stay in my vest!
I echo the above 100%!  My Lyman Snakewood makes every single pot sing.... Even a Turkey Thugs Glass call. Which is impressive as that thing is garbage. But it definitely performs stellar on aluminum, and it purrs on a ceramic like no other in my opinion. Basically, if you don't have one get one.

Chris O

Keep it coming guys I appreciate it.

davisd9

Fowler, no doubt, with an Osage top!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

gergg

I have a Brad Roberts Snakewood striker and it is my favorite on just about anything, really runs great on aluminum.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

mgm1955

birdhunterdave

Lyman snakewwod will play on anything, you gotta try one.

crenshawco

I've got a Torman and a Lyman, and they are both great on pretty much any surface. I just got a Derrick Stuckey in the mail today too that I'm going to run some tonight. Snakewood is just a very versatile wood for a striker

crenshawco

Chris O

vt35mag

If you go two piece, definitely go Harold Fowler with an Osage top.
I have Andy Kaiser, Derrick Stuckey, and Brad Roberts for one piece strikers, and they are all runners. Out of those three, I go for the Kaiser the most though.

Chris O

Thanks for all the suggestions I will have to look at Kaisers

jordanz7935

While i dont own a snakewood striker, yet, another name to add to the list would be Matt Van Cise. I got a dymondwood striker from him this year and its the real deal.