turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Solar Eclipse

Started by Big Guy, August 18, 2017, 10:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Guy

Anyone in the path of totality or close by?  I'm a few hours away and plan on making a trip to see it.  I've always been a nerd about astronomy and science so I'm pretty excited for this.  If only the weather would cooperate, but it looks like it wants to be difficult.  Waiting a few more days before I decide on which direction to head.  Traffic sounds like a nightmare and I hope to just find some back road but I'm afraid a million other people have that same idea.  Guess I'll see.

Greg Massey

Whats a solar Eclipse , i'll probably take a nap during that time....

mgm1955

Farmboy27

I think they said we're gonna be around 80% here. I figure in leaving work and telling the boss I'm scared of the dark. Lol

captpete

It's suppose be 90% here, but they are forecasting rain/thunderstorms.

BowBendr

I asked my young, whipper-snapper boss if it would be appropriate to wear one of my Pink Floyd shirts to work on Monday...he didn't get it....

HookedonHooks

Quote from: BowBendr on August 19, 2017, 08:19:03 AM
I asked my young, whipper-snapper boss if it would be appropriate to wear one of my Pink Floyd shirts to work on Monday...he didn't get it....

I bet I'm a younger whipper snapper.... Shame on him for not even understanding what you meant.

Sounds like he was raised on the bright side of the moon. 

wvmntnhick

All I know is that they extended our work day (school day) by 20 minutes so that no one had to be driving during the eclipse. Come on man. I'm fairly certain that the buses and various other vehicles are equipped with headlights. Said it's a safety matter. Now I guess we're taking all the students out to look at it and I'm fairly certain that it's not a good idea. I know full well that more than one will take off their "approved" solar eclipse safety glasses and stare directly at it causing some permanent vision impairment. I sometimes wonder how well they think some of this stuff through before hand and somehow, we'll be held accountable for it because their little lovelies can't listen to simple directions. Whatever though. I'll jump through their hoops so long as they don't ask me to bark while doing so.

HookedonHooks

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 19, 2017, 09:26:56 AM
All I know is that they extended our work day (school day) by 20 minutes so that no one had to be driving during the eclipse. Come on man. I'm fairly certain that the buses and various other vehicles are equipped with headlights. Said it's a safety matter. Now I guess we're taking all the students out to look at it and I'm fairly certain that it's not a good idea. I know full well that more than one will take off their "approved" solar eclipse safety glasses and stare directly at it causing some permanent vision impairment. I sometimes wonder how well they think some of this stuff through before hand and somehow, we'll be held accountable for it because their little lovelies can't listen to simple directions. Whatever though. I'll jump through their hoops so long as they don't ask me to bark while doing so.

I heard MANY schools all across the nation are actually going into lockdown during the eclipse. They're going to stay inside, and view different streams of the eclipse and use it as a educational/science period.

I definitely understand this, the same as you fear some "little lovely" will not obey the rules, and cause potential damage, then who's at fault? But in my opinion, this is a ONCE in a lifetime event, and everyone should be able to experience it, just the utmost safety pertaining the viewing must be upheld as well. It's such a big thing that thousands of parents have already made the decision that eclipse day will be a day to play hookie, where they can safely instruct their own children on the viewing.

SinGin

Here is Columbia Mo, we are right in the path. Experts call between 100,000 -500,000 extra people. Oh yea. My daughter is a science teacher in KC and they have been excited about it, buuuttt the school ordered the WRONG glasses. So they all get to stay inside.

Big Guy

Quote from: SinGin on August 19, 2017, 11:29:11 AM
Here is Columbia Mo, we are right in the path. Experts call between 100,000 -500,000 extra people. Oh yea. My daughter is a science teacher in KC and they have been excited about it, buuuttt the school ordered the WRONG glasses. So they all get to stay inside.
Columbia is on my list of possible destinations.  Or at least somewhere around that area.

SinGin

Let me know if ya make it to town, you can help me put in hard wood floors at my house. Do let me know if I can help you some how though with parking or where to go or something.

Big Guy

Quote from: SinGin on August 19, 2017, 03:26:45 PM
Let me know if ya make it to town, you can help me put in hard wood floors at my house. Do let me know if I can help you some how though with parking or where to go or something.
Thanks.  PM sent.

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: wvmntnhick on August 19, 2017, 09:26:56 AM
C'mon give em a good Bark or 2 for Ozzys sake ...  :icon_thumright::icon_thumright:

jamo