OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Help with Turkey Gun?  (Read 3493 times)

Offline qbaker

Help with Turkey Gun?
« on: August 17, 2017, 05:46:51 PM »
The Mossberg(R) Maverick(R) 88 Security 12 Gauge Pump-Action Shotgun comes with a Fixed choke, cylinder-bore barrel. NYS does not require from what I can see on the DEC website use of a choke when hunting with a shotgun. However, I do understand tighter spreads are better and can be important to taking within shorter distances (say 30 yards- I believe is the NYS requirement for turkey?).

My Questions:
1.   Is this choke specification acceptable for hunting turkey?
2.   Can anyone else verify I've read the NYS DEC website correctly (that there is no choke requirement), but my understanding of the "value" of using an appropriate choke is correct?
3.   30-yards correct taking distance for NYS?

Link: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg-maverick-88-security-12-gauge-pump-action-shotgun

This is all still (new) to me-

Thanks forum!

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: Help with Turkey Gun?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:14:01 PM »
You should get a shotgun with screw in chokes.  Pattern first with the tighter choke to see how it does; it would probably serve you well.  You will not enjoy hunting with a open choke.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 08:14:18 PM »
Like silvestris said, you want screw chokes. The sweet spot for killing turkeys is between 30 and 40 yards. Closer is actually harder to hit than further. Further is unpredictable and generally best left alone. Basically shotgun pattern fall apart quickly and variably due to variable conditions.

Trulock chokes has good info to explain chokes on their website.

The Maverick 88s I have seen were kinda rattly. Being quiet is important for turkeys.

Offline Damson

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 10:58:31 PM »
Federal's Flight Control Wad supposedly works better from something like an Improved cylinder.  I'd still get screw in chokes.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:26:02 AM »
Guys he said cylinder bore not improved cylinder. There is no choke. The next thing is it’s not easier to hit at 40 yards. There’s no generic sweet spot. On a certain gun with a certain choke/load combo it’d have one. This gun might be 15 yards to a sweet spot.
I’d agree you’d be best suited w a choked gun. Pattern your load with the gun to determine effective range and what it does to that end

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 07:34:02 AM »
This is a SECURITY gun.  Shorter barrel with no screw in chokes for close quarters work.  As most have said, get one with screw in chokes which allows you obtain a aftermarket choke that will give you a killable pattern out to 40 yards.  If your looking Mossberg than the 835 or 935 are hard to beat.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
Sent a pm explaining some differences. Hope it helps.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 09:59:33 AM »
This is a SECURITY gun.  Shorter barrel with no screw in chokes for close quarters work.  As most have said, get one with screw in chokes which allows you obtain a aftermarket choke that will give you a killable pattern out to 40 yards.  If your looking Mossberg than the 835 or 935 are hard to beat.

Yep, the gun the OP is questioning should never be used to hunt with, especially turkeys. It's designed to do the opposite of a turkey gun. Cylinder bore will cause shot to spread quickly which is great for home defense.

Offline HFultzjr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 07:02:05 PM »
Same price as what you are looking at:
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg%C2%AE-maverick%C2%AE-88-12-gauge-all-purpose-pump-action-shotgun#repChildCatid=124104
 :fud:

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 10:51:23 PM »
The choking of a shotgun can be extremely important depending on what you are hunting. 

In a 12 gauge, the choking is the difference from the bore diameter to tightest part of the choke.  A cylinder bore has no diameter change,  and would be an extremely poor choice for turkey hunting. 

The standard constriction of the chokes for a bore barrel of .735 would be as follows:

Cylinder = 0.000
Skeet = 0.005
Improved cylinder = 0.010
Light modified (or skeet-2) = 0.015
Modified = 0.020
Improved modified = 0.025
Light full = 0.030
Full = 0.35
Extra full = 0.045
Super Full 0.055 (or tighter)

Most turkey chokes are extra full or tighter.  I typically use a full choke which is good out to about 40 yards (an extra full would give me an extra few yards, but make the closer shots a tad more challenging).

You are trying to get a lot of small pellets into a small area to hit the neck or skull, and the thin patterns of a cylinder choke would make shooting a turkey unethical out to most reasonable distances.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.