OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tuff day for me today , had to put my dog down

Started by Old Gobbler, August 17, 2017, 05:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

Beautiful dog Shannon, so sorry for your families loss!

grayfox

So sorry for your loss Shannon. My heart goes out to you & your family. Had to put my my best buddy down a little over a year ago now. You never forget them but time does help heal some of the pain. A dog is truly a man's best friend.

jed clampett

I feel for you and your family Shannon...that is a very hard thing to do...i have done it 8 times in my life...it never gets easier...i just keep thinking I did the best I could to giving each one the best life I could ever give to them...they ALL gave back so much more!!

cuppednlocked

Just because it's the right thing, doesn't make it easy.

Dogs never stay with us long enough, but they'll be waiting for us when it's our time.

I hope the pain is reduced by the memories you have.

silvestris

The only cure is a puppy.  Dogs should live longer.  Sorry for your loss. 
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

sixbird

Shannon...I'm sitting here reading about Skipper with tears streaming down my face. I know all too well what you're going through right now. I had to put my dog child, Lilly down two years ago. She had bone cancer and there just came a time when I had to let her go on and I had to stay behind for a while.
That was one of the most agonizing decisions I've ever had to make but it was merciful. When you're the one who has to make that decision, and the weight is on you, you naturally doubt if you did the right thing. I know I did and I still "what if" myself to this day. I nurtured her through 5 years of battling that awful disease after the professionals told me she had 2-5 months to live. I sat with her in her last moments and sobbed over her for days. I still go to her resting place and a have a tear. I talk to her and tell her I'll see her one day again.
Mourn him, but take heart in the fact that he's no longer suffering and, if you believe that there's something after this, you'll see him again...
I know right now the thought of having another friend like Skipper is an impossibility. I thought the same thing. Then little Nimbus came into my life in a strange twist of fate. He's the most loving, obedient and joyful dog I think I've ever had. He'll never replace Lilly but, I can't deny that he's also my dog child.
So, what I'm trying to say is, yes, mourn Skipper. He deserves that and so do you, but don't shut out the idea that you can ever have that again with another true and loyal friend...
Rest in peace Skipper...   :'(

mgm1955

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on August 17, 2017, 08:16:21 PM
One of the toughest things a man will ever have to do, but the right thing when it becomes time.  I am so sorry you're having to go thru it.
Just remember the good times you had together. Still hard.

pabossie255

Yep know where your coming from out of all the dogs I owned my Pitt Bull was my best friend and the best behaved dog of them all. He passed 8 years ago right before my 8 year old daughter was born he was great with kids, little dogs and he thought he was a pointer he would Point on pheasants it was funny. I still think of all the good times I had with him he passed at my feet in my i cried like a big baby.

oldturk

my heart goes out to you og,i too know how you feel,had to my yellow lab jake down about 6 yrs.still brings tears to my eyes.i to got another it helps.

wvmntnhick

Losing a good dog is a lot like losing an appendage. You get used to it being there and when it's gone, your whole way of life changes. Very sorry to hear about your loss.

allaboutshooting

"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

turkey harvester

Very sorry for your loss. They're like our kids. We almost went through the same thing 2 weeks ago. Wife has a 17 1/2 year old Chihuahua that quit eating, quit drinking and its abdomen swelled real bad. I figured it was her time but didn't want her to suffer. Took her to vet expecting the worse. Wife was expecting her fur baby to not come home. The vet ran a couple tests on her and came running back hollering I can save her!! Her uterus was swollen and infected, so an emergency hysterectomy was performed and she had a 1 lb 6 oz infected uterus!! got her home 2 days later and seems to recovering. They are hard to replace when you get so attached.   
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Meadow Valley Man

Sorry for your loss, Shannon. My wife and I have been through it five times, and are facing it soon with our 11 year old golden. Each time we think we can't do it again, but some how another dog finds their way into our lives. They give so much joy and ask nothing in return.

Double B

Followed by buzzards

daddyduke

So sorry for your loss. Went through same thing 2 years ago with our black lab Sadie.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.