turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tuff day for me today , had to put my dog down

Started by Old Gobbler, August 17, 2017, 05:45:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Gobbler

today I had to have my Chesapeake Bay retriever (skipper ),put down ....man im real upset about it , he was the only dog capable of putting up with my teenage autistic son they way he did , he never complained and gave us love and devotion so much , I'm feeling real guilty about it -- the
most perfect dog for our family we got real lucky when we adopted him from the city pound

He had bad hips and was struggling for years , when we adopted him the first week he nearly died from canine influenza --he was one tuff dog and pulled through , if I didn't spot him when I did they would have put him.down the next day when the flu realy kicked in

I'm so bent out of shape over it I don't think , in fact I know I'll never be able to own another dog again not to mention look at another dog without thinking about skipper and getting bent out of shape about it -- man we are gonna miss him bad

Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

outdoors

Hey buddy I feel for ya  , I went through the same thing about 6 years ago
There's a lot of memories there .................
Time is the best healer
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Happy

Sorry, I've been there and well...it sucks. Hopefully some time will ease the pain and you can find another that is just as wonderful just in it own unique ways. Dogs are usually more stable than most people I know. Specially in this day and age.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

I hate to hear about that.   I know all to well what your feeling.   I've always said no more, but eventual cave and get another one.  And I must say I have never regretted doing so.   They don't replace what you lost, but they manage to create their own special place in your heart. 

I dread it, but I'm sure I'm not far off from facing the same thing.  One of my Dobe's will be 14 next month.

RIP Skipper!!!!
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

HookedonHooks

Man, that really is a tough one Shannon. I know what you mean though, my dogs are dang near everything to me. They really are a true part of the family when it's a good animal that meshes with your family unit. I truly hope a bit time heals the wounds, and when you are ready you will do the same as you did before. The stigma around shelter dogs isn't true, every person I know that either has a shelter dog or stray turn into the most loving animals out there, the love you show them changes their world as much as an animal can impact yours. It's gonna be tough for awhile, but one day I do believe you will be ready to accept another animal into your life, because it is evident you do understand how important and impacting they truly are. I wish you the best in your time of grief though, and remember all the great things that Skipper was able to bring to your family.

Farmboy27

Really sorry for your loss Shannon. Have lost my share of great dogs over the years and the last one was as tough as the first.

Greg Massey

So sorry you lost your dog. I know your family will really miss Skipper. I had to put my dog down several years ago and i have never own another one.. i had him for 16 years, he grew up with my kids...it was a super hard day putting him down...he's buried at my farm on a hill under some big Oak Trees ....Bullet was his name...

KentuckyHeadhunter

I am so sorry for your loss Shannon.  That's a real bummer but you did the RIGHT thing all along the way and saved him multiple times.  It was time for him to relax and play in heaven where he'll be waiting for you. 
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

Tail Feathers

It's a loss for the whole family.  Sorry to hear of it.
Over the Rainbow Bridge. :angel2:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Spring Creek Calls

One of the toughest things a man will ever have to do, but the right thing when it becomes time.  I am so sorry you're having to go thru it.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Kylongspur88

Sorry for your loss. Dogs are family and not a day goes by I don't think about my black lab.

I didn't think I'd get another one but did. Completely different personality than my lab, but awesome dog.

Boilermaker

Sorry to hear about your loss.  Dogs are truly another great gift our creator has given us! 

JHoyle

It's the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Just went through it 6weeks ago. Prayers for you and your family. You will see him again and y'all can cross that rainbow bridge together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris O

Sorry about losing your dog at least you gave him a loving home and family later in his life he appreciated it I'm sure.My family just got a jack Russel pup and man she is a handful but going to be a great addition to my family.It will just take some time for you to want another dog but in time you probably will. Take care and sorry for your loss.

paboxcall

Hey Shannon, we are truly saddened to hear of your family's loss. We understand how difficult this is, having done the same here a number of times. It sure makes your heart hurt, brother. Sharing your home with him, and in turn his life with you, was a gift.

:angel2:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer