OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Elk Calls?

Started by GED6531, August 15, 2017, 10:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GED6531

Anyone ever made any diaphragm elk calls? If so, would anyone be willing to tell me how much more I need to stretch vs turkey calls (ballpark) ; I don't want your secrets. I know the side tension will be much higher just don't know how much. I have a buddy that is wanting me to make him one, but I've never tried. I just don't want to use up all my turkey supplies trying to make 1-2 elk calls. Thanks for any help in advance.

Lonehowl

You are saying the stretch would be higher....but I think you will find the stretch is much lower in most cases.
Mark

GobbleNut

Depends on what elk sounds you are trying to reproduce.  For bugling and higher-pitched cow/calf talk, I prefer an uncut reed call, and thinner material doesn't need to be stretched as tightly as thicker material.  If you want to save some material in your call making, try this: take some turkey calls you have already made but don't use and pop off the ends of the reeds with your fingers.  Often doing that will produce a call that will make an excellent bugle...especially for reaching those high notes. 

Good bugling often requires a call that will ascend to the high notes easily combined with using your voice on the front end to make the initial growl you need before ascending into the high-end notes with the call,...and then dropping back off into the end grunts by again using your voice in conjunction with the call. 

for lower sounds,....older cows, and bull growling/grunting,...a little heavier material may work better, and with some cut variations.  You will have to do some experimenting to find what works best there. 

Gooserbat

.075 stretch single or two reeds of your favorite .004 latex.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.