Which semi-auto would you buy and why?

Started by JUGHEAD, April 14, 2011, 05:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

goblr77

IMO Beretta builds the best auto shotguns but I see that wasn't one of your choices. I would buy one with a 26" barrel and just use the bead if it shoots to POA. The 26" barrel will normally pattern better than a shorter one and also work great for wingshooting. I have run thousands of rounds through 390's and 391's on dove fields without a single failure. If you want to shoot 3.5" shells try the Xtrema II. The felt recoil on the gun is minimal and it throws a mean pattern with the right choke and load.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JUGHEAD

Quote from: knotheadedfool on April 14, 2011, 08:37:01 PM
for an auto I absolutely love my 1187.  I love how light the recoil is with magnum loads in that gas operated auto..............

BUT, I can't get used to that trigger guard safety.  IMO, it would be the perfect auto turkey gun if it had a top tang safety. 21" bbl, 3" chamber, cantilever mount, puts up over 250 in a ten (266 has been my best) with the hevi 3-2-7's in a ten at a lasered 40, never had misfire or feed problem, no rattles or squeaks.

If I could find someone that wanted to trade for a 935 though, I would do it just for the top tang safety of the mossberg.
Those are some good points.  I do like the top tang safety on my Mossby 500 for sure, but I just cannot get used to how much more "rickety" the Mossberg pumps are relative to an 870 (assuming I went with a pump).  For all I know, the 935 might be the same way??  I sure don't know because I've never fondled a 935.

knotheadedfool

Quote from: JUGHEAD on April 15, 2011, 08:54:30 AM
Quote from: knotheadedfool on April 14, 2011, 08:37:01 PM
for an auto I absolutely love my 1187.  I love how light the recoil is with magnum loads in that gas operated auto..............

BUT, I can't get used to that trigger guard safety.  IMO, it would be the perfect auto turkey gun if it had a top tang safety. 21" bbl, 3" chamber, cantilever mount, puts up over 250 in a ten (266 has been my best) with the hevi 3-2-7's in a ten at a lasered 40, never had misfire or feed problem, no rattles or squeaks.

If I could find someone that wanted to trade for a 935 though, I would do it just for the top tang safety of the mossberg.
Those are some good points.  I do like the top tang safety on my Mossby 500 for sure, but I just cannot get used to how much more "rickety" the Mossberg pumps are relative to an 870 (assuming I went with a pump).  For all I know, the 935 might be the same way??  I sure don't know because I've never fondled a 935.

I haven't drug one through the woods, my 11-87 is the only auto I've owned, but the 935 doesn't seem rickety to me at all.  The only thing on the 500 thats rickety is the pump, but I've heard other pumps rattle more.

One other thing to note regarding the stocks and safeties, if you get a 935 you would be defeating the purpose of the top tang safety on a turkey gun if you got a pistol grip so that limits you to the straight stock.  I put a thumbhole stock on an 835 that I had. Once you wrap your hand around a pistol grip, you can't manipulate the safety while you're down on the gun with the minimal movement that you can with a straight stock.  With the other guns it doesn't matter what stock you get its still the same PITA to fool with the safety while you're down on the gun IMO.

JUGHEAD

Quote from: knotheadedfool on April 15, 2011, 02:45:23 PMI haven't drug one through the woods, my 11-87 is the only auto I've owned, but the 935 doesn't seem rickety to me at all.  The only thing on the 500 thats rickety is the pump, but I've heard other pumps rattle more.

One other thing to note regarding the stocks and safeties, if you get a 935 you would be defeating the purpose of the top tang safety on a turkey gun if you got a pistol grip so that limits you to the straight stock.  I put a thumbhole stock on an 835 that I had. Once you wrap your hand around a pistol grip, you can't manipulate the safety while you're down on the gun with the minimal movement that you can with a straight stock.  With the other guns it doesn't matter what stock you get its still the same PITA to fool with the safety while you're down on the gun IMO.
Also very good points...didn't think about all that with the safeties.  I got my hands on a 935 today at lunch and have to agree that it wasn't rickety at all like the slide on a Mossberg pump gun....very tight gun and felt good looking down those adjustable fiber optic sights with the standard stock. They didn't have an actualy sure-shot 1187 turkey gun in stock, but I did get to handle a sure-shot stock and I have to say that it grew on me QUICK....felt great to my hand and shouldered just right.  I can get the 870 sure shot turkey gun in my hand for $430 and the 1187 for $647 after the current rebates they have.  Can get the grand slam 935 with 22" barrel and standard stock in my hands for $572...couldn't get the pistol grip price today but it would be a little more and as you mentioned the top tang safety would be tough with the pistol grip.  Decisions, decisions.... ;D   

Cutt

A good point, deciding on the stock you want and safety configuration.

As with a Mossberg I like the safety on the back of the reciever vs. trigger gaurd. Although I wanted a strictly turkey setup with some type of pistol grip. With that I personally did not like the Mossberg safety with a pistol grip, too much hand movement, as where a pistol grip stock to me works better with a trigger gaurd safety. Just something to consider if wanting a pistol grip, try them first.

JUGHEAD

Quote from: SR1 on April 14, 2011, 06:50:31 PM
If your only gona use it for turkey get the 935 you will save money plus get a over bored barrel. They work great and the money you save by not buying a 11-87 or other higher priced gun can be spent on shells and a few chokes.
This is exactly what I was thinking when I first considered the 935. (I've been a Remington shotgun shooter all my life)  But, after comparing what I can get them for....$75 difference is nothing when you consider spreading it over a lifetime of turkey hunting.  I'm just wondering now about which one (the 935 or the 1187) would be the most dependable as far as ejecting those big, honking 3.5" shells is concerned.  To be honest....I'm leaning toward the 870 and getting me a Caldwell Lead Sled to go with it to absorb the patterning recoil for me.  I'm old and soft.  ;D   

JUGHEAD

Quote from: poorcountrypreacher on April 15, 2011, 04:42:17 PM
I would encourage you to shoot some turkey shells thru a gun with a Shurshot stock before buying one. I got an 870 for a backup gun and I liked the looks of the stock until I fired a turkey shell with it - it felt like it nearly ripped my thumb off. You can't get your hand behind it like a true pistol grip like a Benelli has. Your thumb is gonna catch a lot of the recoil, and it made me not want to shoot the gun.

I was able to buy a regular stock from the clearance place at Remington for $14 and I like the gun much better now. But the 870 still kicks a lot more than an 1187. It also kicks more than my SBE. You've been a Remington man all your life; just get you an 1187 and you know you will like it.
Haven't you done enough damage already by helping to get me hooked on this turkey hunting addiction?  Now here you are stalking me over here on this website, wanting me to spend more money than I should.  Shame, shame.  ;D

That's a good point and I should do that.  Are you offering to let me come shoot your gun?  In case I bought a standard 1187, would you sell me your sure shot buttstock so I could have both?  Assuming they interchange....I have no idea whether they do or not.

knotheadedfool

I would encourage you to shoot some turkey shells thru a gun with a Shurshot stock before buying one. I got an 870 for a backup gun and I liked the looks of the stock until I fired a turkey shell with it - it felt like it nearly ripped my thumb off. You can't get your hand behind it like a true pistol grip like a Benelli has. Your thumb is gonna catch a lot of the recoil, and it made me not want to shoot the gun.

I was able to buy a regular stock from the clearance place at Remington for $14 and I like the gun much better now. But the 870 still kicks a lot more than an 1187. It also kicks more than my SBE. You've been a Remington man all your life; just get you an 1187 and you know you will like it.

I have a shurshot on my 1187 and I don't think my thumb takes any of the recoil.  Maybe I hold it a little differently?  But then again, like you said, the 870 kicks much more AND I only shoot 3" shells through it.  On that 1187, that shurshot stock feels like MONEY.  Very ergonomic.  I spent a lot of time behind and m16 so I like a pistol grip and to me that shurshot is a step in the right direction.

Cutt

You are mistaken, at least with the new Shurshot stock, it is not a small thumbhole. It's a wide open pistol grip, and to be honest, with it's postion, helps absorb the shock and does not bother your thumb at all. To me my 11-87 with the Sureshot stock and Supercell pad shooting a 3.5in. has about the same kick as my old Mossy 500 shooting 3in. Mags., and 3in. feel like nothing.

This is the Sureshot stock, they come with, to me very good design, when looking for a turkey only setup.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JUGHEAD

Just wanted to say THANK YOU so much to each of you guys for your input...it is greatly appreciated...please keep it coming!  Once I choose and procure something, I will certainly come here and share my patterns, chosen load, etc. with you guys as well.  Thanks again! 

yukonhunter

1187 shur shot all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com      GIANT Alaskan Malamutes
http://www.harvestmoonmalamutes.com

Mag10

To me my 11-87 with the Sureshot stock and Supercell pad is the way to go.  It's what I have. 
  I had a out of position shot last year that was over behind my left shoulder, I was able to shot one handed with the SM and got my bird, with no thumb damage..

Mailman

You would have to pry my cold dead hands from my SBE2 if you wanted it.

One Shot One Kill

JUGHEAD

I LOVE those SBE2's that everybody keeps showing and I sure do wish I could get one, but it ain't happening for a strictly turkey hunting gun.  No way, no how.  Please stop posting those pics so I won't be tempted.  Thanks.  ;D