OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which semi-auto would you buy and why?

Started by JUGHEAD, April 14, 2011, 05:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUGHEAD

First of all...hello to everyone.  Brand new here and this is my rookie season hunting turkeys.  I have killed 2 this year thanks to the guiding and tutolage of one of my best friends who has been hunting them for years.  I am HOOKED to say the least!  I killed my birds with a Mossy 500, Mossy brand .670 choke, and Hevi-Shot 3" Mag blends....get between 160 and 180 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards.  This gun was my wife's grandfather's gun that he intended to use turkey hunting and he never made it out due to health problems.  I told her I wanted to kill my first bird with it and have actually killed 2 some I'm very happy about that happening.

Now, I am planning on buying a dedicated turkey gun soon after our season closes here and tinkering with it with plans of having something I'm a little more satisfied with before next season.  Here are the guns and specs I'm most interested in:

Mossberg 935
Remington 1187
Stoeger 3500
Definitely want a 3.5" gun
Want rifle sights
Have become a big fan of the 24" barrel but open to suggestions
Am a rifle NUT and lean toward a Remington simply because the trigger can be worked
Definitely want to shoot Hevi-Shot 3.5" 6's, 7's, or Mag Blends

What would you buy?  Which choke would you buy if money wasn't as option and why?  What gun/choke combination statistically has the best chance of throwing the best patterns?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

JUGHEAD

Also, please feel free to suggest different firearms as long as they aren't $1000 guns.  Also want to note that another of my good hunting pals is reloading TSS 8's and 9's and I could get my hands on some if I had to, but I would rather not do so if I could create a dependable 50 yard gun with the Hevis or even the Nitros. Thanks in advance.

BrowningGuy88

Well personally I have never owned an automatic shotgun other than a Sweet 16 I got recently, but I have one on tap for next season. I already had a BPS 10 on lay-a-way, but after figuring TSS prices and weight/killing.... I went back and opened an account on a Benelli M2 Field 20 gauge with 26" barrel. The guy told me I could just put what I had on the 10 over on the 20 if I decided against it.

So to me the Benelli was IT --- I love the way it feels and I don't think money can buy a morre reliable gun. Yes it was around $1k, but you ain't gonna get off much under $800 with any auto 3.5" camo turkey gun these days.

Best of luck to you though!

Daman

SumToy

Turkey. Browning Maxus.
Duck. Maxus or SBEII
Dove/clay. Beretta.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

JUGHEAD

Quote from: Daman on April 14, 2011, 05:32:07 PMSo to me the Benelli was IT --- I love the way it feels and I don't think money can buy a morre reliable gun. Yes it was around $1k, but you ain't gonna get off much under $800 with any auto 3.5" camo turkey gun these days.
Forgot to mention that I am in a gun club and get firearms at slashed rates so I won't be paying anything close to MSRP.  I'll check out the Benelli and see what our prices on them too.  Thanks for the suggestion.

BrowningGuy88

No problem JugHead.

By the way,  :welcomeOG:

I would reccomend handling and shooting as many guns as you can get your hands on before buying. I believe with Nitro ammo, Fed HW, H13, or TSS you can get any gun you want to shoot killing patterns to 40 yards. From there it is all about personal preference.

Daman

JUGHEAD

Quote from: JohnDoe on April 14, 2011, 05:51:10 PMI know you asked about auto's
I was thinking gas auto mostly for recoil reduction mostly (realize the Stoeger isn't a gas gun but thought I would throw it out there too in case some folks are producing killer patterns with it).  That Shur-Shot stock kinda turns me off at first glance, but it looks like a lot of folks like it.  I have to admit that I haven't shouldered one yet, but I will.  I'm not anti-pump for turkey hunting WHATSOEVER.  I've got a couple of guns that I could keep using, but neither are 3.5" guns.  I really lean away from the high end Benelli stuff for the reason you mentioned.  The only wing shooting I do is dove hunting and I've got a 16 gauge Wingmaster that was my Dad's that gets the nod for that every single time.  That thing has killed enough doves to restock Argentina to current levels if they all suddenly died.  ;D   

BHhunter

I am in the same situation. I can't comment on the others, but I did a fair bit of research and decided on the 935 with pistol grip. I like the overbore, and the price was nicer than the Beneli SBE (I would be sleeping with the turkeys if I spent that much). They must be a popular gun this year cause I've been waiting over two weeks for it on backorder. Be interesting to see others thoughts.

cahaba

Cutt

Can't speak for all semi's, but really like my new Remington Supermag Sureshot. Love the feel and steady aiming this stock provides, and handles 3.5 loads without beating you up. For a turkey only setup, it is well worth the look that doesn't carry the bigger price tags.

Although I do believe there are other semi's that are better shooters and put up better patterns, but it does well.

[attachment deleted by admin]

gobblerguide

Franchi i12 made by benelli and about 700  bucks in camo.This is a great gun that is made in Italy and may be the best gun for the money i know of. I have 2  sbe and love this gun just as well.Mine patterns killer and has been the demise of at least 50 gobblers.but it is a 3inch gun.The 912 franchi is a 3.5,i also have one of those and it is just as deadly ,but have quit dragging around a heavier gun.
Worse than the bird flu on gobblers!

bowhunter84

i have a remington 1187 SM with a shurshot stock and rifle sights on it. it sports a rhino .660 choke tube and a 23" barrel.    i couldnt be happier with it.

also  :welcomeOG:

SR1

If your only gona use it for turkey get the 935 you will save money plus get a over bored barrel. They work great and the money you save by not buying a 11-87 or other higher priced gun can be spent on shells and a few chokes.
Death Smiles At Everyone - Marines Smile Back
Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl
Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon
[/url]

Trevor2

If it wasnt for the high prices on the 1187 that what I would get but Im a remington man. So ruling it out id have to go with the 935, mossberg does make a turkye killin son of a gun
Strutstopper

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.