OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey Gun?  (Read 5962 times)

Offline qbaker

Turkey Gun?
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »
I'm new to turkey hunting. I've been trying to get out this year, but it looks like Spring-18 will be my first hunt.

Maverick 88 12g, 28"
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/maverick-88-pump-action-shotgun-15mosamvrck881228shg/15mosamvrck881228shg

Q:
Is this a suitable gun for turkey hunting? Its the Mossberg 500 with a different trigger group safety (only difference).

Camouflage
Also the firearm is available in camouflage I believe. Is this required or best for Turkey hunting?

Offline falltoms

Re: Turkey Gun?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:14:23 AM »
Yes that gun would work, but with a 28" barrel its going to be heavy lugging around. Camouflage on a gun is NOT needed. I would get a matte finish on a barrel, but other than that don't worry. Mossburg makes some fine shotguns, I would look into there 500 series. You can buy one pretty reasonable

Offline daddyduke

• Double Beard
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 02:58:45 PM »
Totally agree with falltoms post. Might want to consider 20 gauge. I started out with Remington 11-87 12 ga with 24 inch barrel and I got tired of lugging it around. Switched to Rem 870 20ga with 26" barrel for 2 seasons and loved it. Now have a 870 21" barrel. Still shooting lead 3" #5s.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Offline The Cohutta Strutter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »
I have a buddy that has the Maverick 88 in a 12 and I was surprised with its lightweight. I would have no issue carrying it around. However, it being a pump I would imagine it having a sharp recoil,especially with the 3" stuff. Slap a good recoil pad on it and it would serve you well as a turkey gun. I don't recall what specific choke system it used but would check into that to see what aftermarket chokes are available.
Anybody seen America lately?

Online 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 07:17:36 PM »
After getting pounded for 30 years with a 12 gauge with 3 1/2 shells, I found out way to late that a 20 gauge will kill them just as dead, way lighter to carry and almost no recoil. I would consider that 870 20 gauge in the compact, 21 inch barrel, go on here and look at the amazing patterns on the 20 gauge pattern page, I would also choose a camo gun but that me!

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
I spent 9 seasons toting a Mossberg 500 w/ a 28" barrel and a blued finish, shined like new money.  Not one turkey complained.  I switched to a camo 835 but have "souped up" the 500 in the last couple of years with the same 28" barrel, camo tape and a Kicks GT choke, making it about 30" now and tote it from time to time.  Turkeys still aren't complaining, nor are they complimenting the work I've done to it.  It's a personal choice IMO, Mossbergs are great guns and even better if your a lefty like me with their ambiodextrous safety.  Get what fits you and feels good in your hands and on your shoulder.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Turkey Gun?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »
Have not had any trouble:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 07:53:49 PM »
You will be fine with that one .
Had a 28" myself for for a dozen years or so.
Now still prefer shorter version ,21"is great.
Used a lot of black guns,still do. But camo is cool, but pricey from the factories.You can always paint it yourself,plenty of information on this sight about that.
A 12 gauge shooting 3" shells will take a lot of turkeys,nothing more is needed.
Gun choice is whatever you feel like spending as is the ammunition,lead,Hevi,heavyweight.All about what you are comfortable spending.

Good luck with your choice and good luck on your first turkey season !

Offline mufishgrad

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 01:26:42 PM »
Camo isn't necessary but it does help. If you really want to camo it you can pay someone to dip it for you, or you can do some online research online for a DIY camo spray paint job. I've done this on my Mossberg 500 12 gauge and my Remington 870 20 gauge. If you take your time, and do it right it can look great and save you a lot of money. Make sure you cover up any moving actions of the gun if you do this or you will have issues with the trigger assembly, pump action, etc.

As for the gun I like a 12 gauge for the extra yardage in your pattern, but with new age turkey chokes and shells today the 20 can be your bet if you plan on walking.