News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rem. HD Choke does better than Jelly .660& .665

Started by Cutt, April 14, 2011, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

I have been messing with different chokes with some Hevi-13 and my 11-87

Didn't even give the Factory Wingmaster HD Predator/Turkey choke any coincideration at first up against 2 Jellyheads .660&.665, actually was the first I shot it.

Paced off 40 yards, 39-41 maybe, don't really care, and first shot the Jellyhead .665  with Hevi-13 3.5 2.25 oz. #6's a clean polished barrel, then the Jellyhead .660 next and the Rem HD last with the same loads.

Haven't been getting real impressive numbers with heavy, but surprised to see the factory choke do better? Numbers are as follows in the 10 ring and in the order they were shot, as the Rem HD had the dirtiest barrel being last too.

1st Jellyhead .665 - 204 hits
2nd Jellyhead .660 - 185 hits
3rd Rem HD .? - 213 hits

If I decide to shoot these Hevi 3.5 6's, to my surprise I wasted my money on the Jellies? I'm sure there's a better choke, and might try the Pure Gold next season, but just surprised a choke I didn't even consider, does better?

Scout24

My Remington HS choke tube (.665), same gun,  shot 3 1/2, Hevi #6's so well (224 in 10 @40) I looked no further as well. Some old Rem Hevishot 3 1/2, 5's shot 115 @ 40 in the same tube. Over the years I'd killed 4-5 birds at 50+ with 5's and that tube and never lost one. I guess ignorance is bliss as 115 @ 40 would now be considered a marginal 50 yard gun.

Gobble!

I would be posting those jellyheads in the classifieds.
213 with the 6s is great out of a remington no matter what choke your using

Cutt

Quote from: Gobble! on April 14, 2011, 05:16:51 PM

It may come to that, but don't want to jump the gun ( no pun intended) :lol:

Going to clean it, and try the 7's with the Rem HD, up against my Jelly .660, which I already know the numbers with the .660 and 7's, again not too impressive, so will be intersting to see the Rem HD numbers in the 7's?  Thanks

Cutt

Quote from: Scout24 on April 14, 2011, 05:15:07 PM
My Remington HS choke tube (.665), same gun,  shot 3 1/2, Hevi #6's so well (224 in 10 @40) I looked no further as well. Some old Rem Hevishot 3 1/2, 5's shot 115 @ 40 in the same tube. Over the years I'd killed 4-5 birds at 50+ with 5's and that tube and never lost one. I guess ignorance is bliss as 115 @ 40 would now be considered a marginal 50 yard gun.

Do you have the same choke? as I thought it was a .672, that I read somewhere, but not sure?

I have the 11-87 Supermag Shurshot, model# 83616 and this choke came with it labeled Wingmaster HD Turkey/Predator? Thanks

SKFOOTER

Quote from: Cutt on April 14, 2011, 05:23:14 PM
Quote from: Gobble! on April 14, 2011, 05:16:51 PM

It may come to that, but don't want to jump the gun ( no pun intended) :lol:

Going to clean it, and try the 7's with the Rem HD, up against my Jelly .660, which I already know the numbers with the .660 and 7's, again not too impressive, so will be intersting to see the Rem HD numbers in the 7's?  Thanks
No other choke will hang with the Jellyhead .660 in your Remington shooting the Hevi #7's. 

Scout24

Mine is the tube that Remington sold, about 6-8 years ago just for shooting their old brand of Hevi-Shot, which at the time was made by Environ Metal, which is now Hevi 13. I have the original packing which shows .665, it says "Rem super full for hevi shot or lead" on the tube. ILIKEHEVI 13 just shot 243 @40 with a Mad Max .680. That's about as good as it gets with #6's. I'm in NH where 7's are illegal.

Cutt

QuoteIs this your average number of hits with these choke/shell combos? If they are just one shot, you should shoot more and see which one is the most consistent. A 213 with the Rem HD choke, could be just that circumstance, and it could be the best pattern you ever get out of that choke, where as one of the JH chokes may be a consistent producer shot after shot.

True, only shot the Rem. HD choke a couple times, although it put up better numbers with the 6's with a dirty barre, than the Jelly .665 with a clean barrel. And I know the numbers with the Jellyhead .665 and 6's as I have shot them several times with a clean barrel. I shot the .665 first the only 2 times I shot the Rem Choke, shooting it after 2 or 3 shells and it still did better than the .665 even though the barrel was dirty with a few shots through it. Still have to try the Rem choke with a clean barrel to make a fair comparision against the Jelly .665, and my guess, clean it's even going to do a bit better?

I had originally set out to shoot the 7's, but really like the pattern with the 3.5 6's and the Rem. choke.  Even with the 3in. 7's the Rem choke did fairly well, with the Jelly .660 doing slightly better, but to my surprise not much.

As of right now if I shot the Hevi-13 3in. 7's, I'll use the Jelly .660

But really liking the 3.5 6's , although have to buy more. But as of now if I was to shoot the 6's, I believe I'll take the Rem Choke over the Jelly .665?

After all the reading, just surprised this factory choke does so well? And as for Remingtons and Hevi 6's, you here nothing of this choke, but a lot about the Jelly .665 with Rem. and 6's. Where I believe the factory choke shoots better from what I've seen?