OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Appex TSS 7.5#  (Read 4112 times)

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Appex TSS 7.5#
« on: August 10, 2017, 10:09:27 AM »
Saw on Appex site they have 3" and 3.5" 12g TSS in 7.5 anybody have experience with 7.5 TSS and which choke restriction used
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:37:17 PM by Phillipshunt »
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline honker22

• Longbeard
Re: Appex TSS 7.5#
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 11:49:49 AM »
I don't know anyone who shoots 7.5, probably bc that size is very unnecessary for turkeys.  Just from what I've seen, most of the folks are shooting 9s and the rest 8s.  I know that doesn't answer your question, but just letting you know, in case this thread doesn't get much feedback.  I've tested 8s and 9s, and have exclusively shot 9s for 7-8 years.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 12:44:09 PM »
I know Nitro had some patterns up with a blend of them and 9s.   I did see someone with the Apex load posted on facebook.   Most are doing the 7s because of the states that want let folks shoot the smaller stuff. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline jed clampett

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »
There are certain states that you cannot shoot anything smaller than 7.5s....illinois...which I live is one of them

Offline Tomcat655

• Hang in there..at least till he's dead
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 12:58:50 PM »
I want to try them.  I bet they hit hard.  Why wouldn't you shoot them.  I wish the they would make a 6.  that's plenty of pellets and knockdown

Offline honker22

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 02:09:06 PM »
I want to try them.  I bet they hit hard.  Why wouldn't you shoot them.  I wish the they would make a 6.  that's plenty of pellets and knockdown

I mean, I guess I would shoot them if the law said I had to.  Hypothetically if I went out of state and hunted one of these states, I'd probably just write "7s" with a sharpie on the side of my shell instead of "9s". 
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:06:25 PM »
Legal shot size was the reason for the question. I make every effort to follow game laws and would not lie about shot size or anything else.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 11:40:48 PM »
I shot birds with tss 7s this year 6 of them and couldn't tell the difference in that and the 40 I have shot with 9s just less on paper in the pattern on longer shots.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 11:30:37 AM »
The basic " spirit " of the size shot restriction regulations that states employ is for a combination of reasons

1) safety -- size shot will restrict the ranges and ways people are willing to shoot at game or ...things they think are game ...in this case a turkey

in Florida for example  , many years ago ....on public wmas, you could use .22 mag , and any size shot including buckshot and slugs ...... guess what ..... folks got shot by idiots in 22 mags, killed with buckshot ....and killed with slugs ...yes I've seen it before .....the saying my dad used to say is "close the gate after the horse runs off held true" ...... no sooner that someone got killed with buckshot in spring did the FWC finally change the regulations --So now in Florida we have nothing larger than size 2 --- but.....if folks( garage tss resellers , and their sidekicks...you know popping jakes at 83 yards ) continue to praise the lethality of tss , I can readily predict that , that horse will eventually run off too ...  we all know that tss will kill effectively well  past what size 2 lead can , and there is no telling what size 2 tss is capable of accomplishing in the wrong hands ....so as you can see the new laws have become redundant in a matter of a few years as ( some tss shooters , minority)folks who are determined to transform a shotgun into a rifle to skirt regulations in the intention of harvesting game and passing themselves off as a bonafide turkey hunter within their  group in a attempt to gain "peers approval "

2) Game harvest restrictions -- many states have beard size restrictions , and all have sex restrictions on turkey harvest -- increasingly difficult at centerfire rifle ranges with a  shotgun I might say ....

, regulations like 3 shot maximum in waterfowl is to keep hunters from over harvesting and crippling game , for example

Close the gate after the horse runs off--  well we are already seeing a record decline in harvest figures(nationwide )  and habitat destruction -- my " donkey senses are tingling " on the whole long shot thing , my worst nightmare is that by the time the morons that have a say in drafting state regulations figure out they have a near critical wild turkey population crash it will take decades to correct the problem ....if it can be corrected at all !

I remember when we used to be able to shoot 10 pintail ducks a day when I was a kid , this year I hear we are back down to 1 a day in Florida .....the same reasons that got the pintail into serious trouble are the same ones that will eventually downfall the wildturkey unless someone does something asap
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 07:33:11 PM »
The prohibition against larger sizes of shot is related to safety. The prohibition against smaller sizes is pure ignorance. And I don't mean that in a mean spirited way, only that the crafters of those regulations don't have a clue that TSS 9s are infinitely more effective than lead 7.5s, which are legal. They will catch up to current knowledge eventually.

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 08:22:27 AM »
 :agreed:
Legal shot size was the reason for the question. I make every effort to follow game laws and would not lie about shot size or anything else.
:thanks: :icon_thumright:

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 08:29:38 AM »
:thanks: :icon_thumright:

This too is my attitude towards state hunting laws.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 05:13:46 PM »
Can't see using T7.5s with heavyweight 7s are available. Heavy is cheaper, as effective at appropriate ranges and less of a liability downrange. But, then, if I were toting a 12 I'd still shoot lead.

Offline SumToy

• Double Beard
    • sumtoycustoms
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 09:16:55 AM »
Can't see using T7.5s with heavyweight 7s are available. Heavy is cheaper, as effective at appropriate ranges and less of a liability downrange. But, then, if I were toting a 12 I'd still shoot lead.

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 12:03:20 PM »
The basic " spirit " of the size shot restriction regulations that states employ is for a combination of reasons

1) safety -- size shot will restrict the ranges and ways people are willing to shoot at game or ...things they think are game ...in this case a turkey

in Florida for example  , many years ago ....on public wmas, you could use .22 mag , and any size shot including buckshot and slugs ...... guess what ..... folks got shot by idiots in 22 mags, killed with buckshot ....and killed with slugs ...yes I've seen it before .....the saying my dad used to say is "close the gate after the horse runs off held true" ...... no sooner that someone got killed with buckshot in spring did the FWC finally change the regulations --So now in Florida we have nothing larger than size 2 --- but.....if folks( garage tss resellers , and their sidekicks...you know popping jakes at 83 yards ) continue to praise the lethality of tss , I can readily predict that , that horse will eventually run off too ...  we all know that tss will kill effectively well  past what size 2 lead can , and there is no telling what size 2 tss is capable of accomplishing in the wrong hands ....so as you can see the new laws have become redundant in a matter of a few years as ( some tss shooters , minority)folks who are determined to transform a shotgun into a rifle to skirt regulations in the intention of harvesting game and passing themselves off as a bonafide turkey hunter within their  group in a attempt to gain "peers approval "

2) Game harvest restrictions -- many states have beard size restrictions , and all have sex restrictions on turkey harvest -- increasingly difficult at centerfire rifle ranges with a  shotgun I might say ....

, regulations like 3 shot maximum in waterfowl is to keep hunters from over harvesting and crippling game , for example

Close the gate after the horse runs off--  well we are already seeing a record decline in harvest figures(nationwide )  and habitat destruction -- my " donkey senses are tingling " on the whole long shot thing , my worst nightmare is that by the time the morons that have a say in drafting state regulations figure out they have a near critical wild turkey population crash it will take decades to correct the problem ....if it can be corrected at all !

I remember when we used to be able to shoot 10 pintail ducks a day when I was a kid , this year I hear we are back down to 1 a day in Florida .....the same reasons that got the pintail into serious trouble are the same ones that will eventually downfall the wildturkey unless someone does something asap

Well put Shannon.  I know of hunters hear in VA that are adamantly against our regulation of no shot size smaller than #2 because of the injuries they've seen some from it, not to mention we are rifle state.  The issue that always comes up in state meetings I've attended when this topic has arose is we start treading in NRA territory when we regulate methods of take and it becomes a 2nd amendment issue no one wants to deal with.