OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Fall Gobblers  (Read 2443 times)

Offline hawk

Fall Gobblers
« on: August 05, 2017, 07:46:00 AM »
What are best sounds for fall gobblers

Offline falltoms

Re: Fall Gobblers
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:15:35 AM »
Gobbler yelping and clucks. If you can find a flock of longbeards, bust or split them up, and call them back in. The more in a flock , generally the more eager they are to regroup. You can gobbler yelp on any turkey call you have, just slow down your rythem. On pot calls use the striker towards the middle of the pot. Gobbler yelping is slower and more course than hens. With that being said, I have busted flocks of longbeards up, and I have heard them yelp fast and excitedly. Its good to keep your calling low key in the fall. And gobbling has worked for me in the fall as well. Good luck

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 02:25:02 AM »
 Falltoms gave great advice gobbler yelps are the way to go. Some warm weather mornings you can gobble at them and they may return a gobble back to you.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:23:37 PM »
When I'm sure I have a group of longbeards located, I gobble a lot. You can often get them wound up enough to gobble from the roost. Aggressive purrs once they're on the ground.

Later in the morning, one, two and three note gobbler yelps and clucks with long waiting periods in between. This game requires a lot of patience with often very little to no response...they just show up.

My favorite call for fall longbeards is a big gobbler wingbone a little on the long side.

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:06:17 AM »
When I'm sure I have a group of longbeards located, I gobble a lot. You can often get them wound up enough to gobble from the roost. Aggressive purrs once they're on the ground.

Later in the morning, one, two and three note gobbler yelps and clucks with long waiting periods in between. This game requires a lot of patience with often very little to no response...they just show up.

My favorite call for fall longbeards is a big gobbler wingbone a little on the long side.
Good stuff right there

The most important piece IMO, PATIENCE!  They may occasionally come in when your calling for gangs of young birds but more times than not you'll just hear a sharp "CLUCK" and at that point the only thing that needs to move is your eyes because they can be right on top of you.  Sometimes you may only hear something walking thru the woods in your direction and it's fall gobblers and they never answered you.  To me seeing a bunch of red heads pop into view with the fall colors as a backdrop is just as, if not more, exciting as seeing that white head appear in the spring.  Food can be key too, the gobblers have gotta eat also. I have found that gobblers in the fall like to scratch at the base of trees and against blow downs for some reason.  Roost areas are good to if you can locate one, they may not use the same tree all the time but they'll hang in the area if there's food near it.  I also wouldn't hesitate to start a "fight" with lots of purring and wingbeats.  Pecking orders are always being established and gobblers love a fight.

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
Like the others said Gobbler yelps,clucks,and patience.. Sometimes about the time I've thought things might not happen I've heard a single cluck or they just appear...Nothing like having a half dozen or more big longbeards in front of you to choose from. I enjoy it even more later when they are flocked up with all the other birds then you have a smorgasbord to choose from. Lol..Goodluck...