OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Confirmed... Federal loading TSS....

Started by TheSportsman, August 04, 2017, 09:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SumToy

Apex and Nitro along with the hand load guys are going to be above them.  Federal should have stayed with the HWT and gave the guys that dont want to put $$$$$ in a shell. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

turkeyinstrut

Quote from: buzzardroost on January 02, 2018, 07:45:21 AM
Well crap. The 20 gauge #9's are a reduced recoil offering. Wonder how much effect that lower speed has?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything 1,000 FPS or over is plenty fast enough with TSS, even with 9's or 9.5's.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: turkeyinstrut on January 04, 2018, 01:46:18 PM
Quote from: buzzardroost on January 02, 2018, 07:45:21 AM
Well crap. The 20 gauge #9's are a reduced recoil offering. Wonder how much effect that lower speed has?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything 1,000 FPS or over is plenty fast enough with TSS, even with 9's or 9.5's.

20s are offered in 1200 fps and 1000 fps.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

wvnut3

Its unfortunate, but that's the direction Federal went.That is also the reason once i find a shell i like i stock up on it. I have 25 boxes of the 20 ga. Fed hvy #7. That will probably last me a lifetime , however i am always looking.Lee

Gobble!

Quote from: SumToy on January 03, 2018, 09:46:49 AM
Apex and Nitro along with the hand load guys are going to be above them.  Federal should have stayed with the HWT and gave the guys that dont want to put $$$$$ in a shell.

I would agree.

Izzyjoe

Quote from: wvnut3 on January 04, 2018, 07:33:29 PM
Its unfortunate, but that's the direction Federal went.That is also the reason once i find a shell i like i stock up on it. I have 25 boxes of the 20 ga. Fed hvy #7. That will probably last me a lifetime , however i am always looking.Lee
I was thinking the same thing, unfortunately I only have 4 boxes of them, so when they run out I'm going to revert back to the 12ga, or maybe try something else.

wvnut3

Quote from: Izzyjoe on January 06, 2018, 12:41:43 AM
Quote from: wvnut3 on January 04, 2018, 07:33:29 PM
I was thinking the same thing, unfortunately I only have 4 boxes of them, so when they run out I'm going to revert back to the 12ga, or maybe try something else.
There are still plenty of the discontinued shell out there . stock up while you can. Lee

Old Gobbler

It may be premature ....but from everything ive seen this far from company literature and staff videos ...I would like to take this opportunity to thank federal ammunition for taking the high road on this , and not doing what several other ammunition companies did(and some garage operations ) in the past and not promote this as some "hail Mary " long shot product --everything I've seen thus far looks responsible from federal  --

Will the product be safe, for you and your firearm  ? I'm almost 100% assuming and assured it is. unlike what was going on in the past....with other operations,  but you know what , I'm not gonna go into that ..

It will take a few weeks, months. ...whatever and somebody(s) will do the homework and figure out what choke ...load combination makes the product perform the best , when it gets warmer ...

For the folks shooting heavyweight. ...go out get some more , cause by the time the regular public(not the fanatics here on OG) figure out the heavyweight is no longer , a panic will ensue , the shelves will be striped bare , especially the 20ga

$10 a round kinda seems pricey , but I'm sure if the product is as good quality as they say , a pocket full of these will last you all season and perhaps the next.I'm sure Federal will do well with thier offering , they have access to thousands upon thousands of retail and online operations plus marketing. ...they will sell plenty of it

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

the Ward

I am actually pretty excited about the new Grand slam lead loads federal is bringing out. They are using the new flex wad in them, and they are making them in 10 gauge also. The old Turkey thugs shot very well for such an inexpensive shell, and I'm really curious as to how these will shoot. Nice to see a new 10 gauge load coming out, but that probably means no more heavyweight 10 loads if they are discontinuing the 15g loads in the other gauges.

SumToy

I dont think the wad is going to change things much.  It should work in the same set up you have now.   :icon_thumright:
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

the Ward

Quote from: SumToy on January 06, 2018, 10:48:27 AM
I dont think the wad is going to change things much.  It should work in the same set up you have now.   :icon_thumright:
Thanks for the info. That choke setup is great. It puts up some good numbers with  pretty much anything I've tried, and some of the magblend patterns were unreal!

owlhoot

Us ole turkey hunters  are  definitely a different bunch .So says a friend of mine .lol
9 bucks a shot for turkey with tss! He said good night I shot elk ,moose and grizzly and the most expensive loads he used were under 3 bucks a shot! Of course I said yep and would be getting.410 and maybe 20 maybe not as the already 4 bucks a shot Federal Hw7 20 gauge stock should cover me , my kid and grandkids .lol.
Yes us turkey hunters are nuts!  Come on spring!

Deast1988

I hope they hit stores I'll be ordering a few to try

SKFOOTER

Rogers Sporting Goods has the Federal TSS 12 gauge 3" #7 and #9 loads available.