OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Confirmed... Federal loading TSS....

Started by TheSportsman, August 04, 2017, 09:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farmboy27

Quote from: Dermott on September 20, 2017, 03:01:42 PM
This development is scary to me. But I can recall 3" then 3 1/2" shells coming out which was scary too. We also have superior turkey decoys some of which are motorized! A really scary development is people using tail fans to hide behind while sneaking up on gobblers --- this is so dangerous and, IMO, should be outlawed.  In Texas I believe they allow hunting turkeys with a rifle which really is untraditional and, IMO, not a good method.

I would prefer that traditional turkey hunting methods were practiced by all.  However, I believe that is an up-hill battle that will ultimately be lost.
If you don't like new advancements, then maybe hunting isn't your gig!  Lol. I'm 36 and have seen tons of changes in hunting. Some I like, some I hate. If you can recall the advent of 3" shells, then you have been around a lot longer than me. I bet you even use some of the products that have come along since you started. It is the way of the world. New products come along and offer a better way. People buy them. End of story. As far as fanning, it's not a new tactic. It's been done for years. As far as shotguns being the traditional way to shoot turkeys?  Man you're way off base on that!  Years back, turkeys were traditionally shot with the best and easiest weapon to kill them with. Lots of times that was a rifle. TSS is nothing new. And the fact that federal may be loading it will not cause a revolution, nor will it cause the apocalypse. It will just be another product offered to hunters willing to pay for it. If you don't like it, don't worry. Next year there will be dozens of other new products to take your mind off of it!

FL-Boss

I see Dermott's point.. At the end of day the wildlife is not "innovating" near as quick as humans. So the million dollar question remains.. where does it end? When do we reach a point where zero sport is left? 

This is a separate, and very long conversation. But at the end of the day it will be decided by individual hunters.  Some will always choose to sit in a blind with their motorized decoys, drones and a 12 gauge 3.5in shooting a cannon sized load of TSS. Then others will choose to shoot only a long bow and not much more, like the Indians did.

No right or wrong, just personal choice. 

THattaway

Time will prove out if any concerns stated here are valid or not. I agree that I don't like the idea of a guy on public land possessing an 80-90 yard lethal weapon that could kill me through foliage across a river bottom by an unethical hunter stalking a tom I might be working. Not at all a methods issue for me and honestly don't care if it offends anyone here, just the truth. With these loads being more commercially available will mean an increase in those using it, simple for me to understand. For states that outlawed rifle hunting for turkeys this is just another step back in the direction they tried to get away from IMO. I remember when rifle hunting was still legal here in SC and why it was outlawed, folks were getting shot. So what's the difference then and now? Nothing really, a load that kills at extended range during a season that allows fully camo clad hunters.
"Turkeys ain't nothing but big quail son."-Dad

"The truth is that no one really gives a dam how many turkeys you kill."-T

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

the Ward

Quote from: THattaway on September 21, 2017, 11:02:02 AM
Time will prove out if any concerns stated here are valid or not. I agree that I don't like the idea of a guy on public land possessing an 80-90 yard lethal weapon that could kill me through foliage across a river bottom by an unethical hunter stalking a tom I might be working. Not at all a methods issue for me and honestly don't care if it offends anyone here, just the truth. With these loads being more commercially available will mean an increase in those using it, simple for me to understand. For states that outlawed rifle hunting for turkeys this is just another step back in the direction they tried to get away from IMO. I remember when rifle hunting was still legal here in SC and why it was outlawed, folks were getting shot. So what's the difference then and now? Nothing really, a load that kills at extended range during a season that allows fully camo clad hunters.
Great post. This sums up my feelings on the subject 100%

BINK McCARTY

Quote from: lunghit on August 07, 2017, 08:08:08 PM
Quote from: owlhoot on August 07, 2017, 07:47:15 PM
Dang , they just can't get rid of everyone's favorite can they  ::)

The flight control wad  ;D
That says "works in all chokes". Wasn't the FCW intended for non ported and non wad stripping chokes? Maybe this is something different?
YESSIRRR.....I have it on ROCK SOLID authority the flex wad will be loaded with heavyweight shot!!!!! Look for it this spring. BTW.....I also have it on ROCK SOLID authority the flight control wad CAN INDEED be shot thru ported choke tubes.....and with GREAT RESULTS!!!!!

BINK McCARTY

:turkey2:PLEASE EVERYONE.....chime in on what I'm sayin. How dead do we as sportsmen & WOMEN NEED OR WANT to kill turkeys? I firmly believe in a humane & ethical way to take game....be it turkeys or deer. I also believe it is up to each hunter to use their own judgement on the how what when and where about what is "ethical" on taking ANY game . I ask y'alls opinion on how far is too far? Also,when do we stop being " killers " and start being HUNTERS again? I thought the whole point and concept is to "HUNT" and not just kill. Am I wrong for thinking this way??? When do we go back to CALLIN a bird in so close you can see the whites of his eyes,and see those magnificent colors???!!! At what point do we stop trying to kill birds at rifle range and actually "HUNT" them again? Anyways,lets hear those opinions....on WHATEVER!!!!! Huntin em.,the new or existing ammo or whatever!!!!! Only ONE rule....we ALL STICK TOGERTHER.

monty690

Oh boy, here we go. This one deserves it's own thread but I'll chime in. To me, ethics encompasses many points, including common courtesy, safety and clean kills. I think that your post referred to ethics as far as clean kills. That comes down to knowing your equipment and your own abilities. For me, it's about the hunt, not the kill and I realize that for some it's just the opposite. I didn't fire a shot this season but I guarantee that I enjoyed it as much as those who tagged out. I don't have a problem with anyone shooting the "new and improved" loads as long as they know what they're shooting at and what's behind it. The last sentence should have included knowing your equipment and your own abilities.

Happy

To me there are different choices for different people. Some want to challenge themselves and some want instant success. I know folks who are just happy to kill a turkey any way possible. I know others that are very old school and won't have it any other way. Most have to run through a bloodthirsty phase and some stay in it. Is there a right or wrong?  I don't know. All I know is how I feel. I enjoy hunting, I enjoy getting away and into the woods. There is peace and quiet and I feel at home. It is a retreat for me. I can sit and ponder life, what improvements I can make as a husband, as a father and as a person. Am I there to kill? Yes. I am very serious about it. I want to enjoy the experience the hunt and I personally feel that a surplus of technology and gadgets cheapens it for me. I get more of a satisfaction from skill and dedication for the most part anyways. I shoot a specialized turkey gun, a nice compound bow and a good deer rifle. The stick bow fellows, and flintlock hunters have me beat and I tip my hat to them. At my skill level things aren't a gimme or easy. I don't like trail cameras, crossbows, ozonics, blinds, or 60+ yard turkey guns. I believe as hunters we need to practice conservation and good game management. That is our going to be our saving grace if hunting is to continue. It won't be tv shows or commercials. That's for sure. The mindset of people in general is troubling to me for sure. We have become greedy and selfish and willing to do whatever it takes as long as we get what we want and the less effort the better. This is carrying over to hunting and it worries me. This is not saying my way is right at all. It is just one man's opinion. I think we all have to think and decide what matters to us the most. Some will always get a kick out of the latest and greatest and some will just be happy with what we have.  As long as we are hunting legally and with conservation in mind then I think we will be ok. It's the ones that kill just to satisfy a deficiency in their self esteem that bug me. I hunt for me, no one else and encourage everyone else to do the same. An animals life is to be valued and respected. I may not  kill a turkey at all next year. I am sure gonna have fun trying though.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

daddyduke

Well said Happy. I try to teach my children not to get caught up in the killing part of it but to take in the whole experience.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Gobble!

I'm interested in seeing how much these will be a shell. I would think a company like Federal is going to get TSS at a far cheaper pricer per pound that anyone else out there will. Still not going to be cheap but I would be surprised if Apex or Nitro end up being cheaper.

donjuan

Quote from: Old Gobbler on August 11, 2017, 10:41:56 AM
Quote from: turkeyinstrut on August 09, 2017, 08:19:30 PM
Quote from: trkehunr93 on August 09, 2017, 11:19:05 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on August 05, 2017, 06:41:12 PM
Quote from: Happy on August 05, 2017, 08:41:37 AM
Interesting. I am just waiting to see what happens in the next few years now that tss is going mainstream. I am kinda scared actually. I can see turkey hunting become a little more dangerous. I fear the idiot majority are going to ruin it for the responsible minority once again.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Most complain for spending $5 a shell, how many do you think will pay $8-10?

Hevi changed the waterfowl world, but how many still buy steel? Yes you shoot more at waterfowl but some will spend the money no matter what and some will not. There will be some that shoot TSS but most will stick to longbeards and other lead/HTL after buying a box or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree!  I've looked into Apex ammo's TSS offerings and I can't stomach the price.  We will just have to wait and see.

I don't think you will be any happier with Federal's prices, even buying it direct from China TSS ain't cheap.
buying tss  directly from China (tss garage operation ressellers)in bulk is a process that was just recently exposed as having upwards of a 300% markup is some cases , if I remember correctly a individual showed pictures of the invoices but that's a story for another day ... and you know what I'm just putting that behind me , between apex , nitro and what looks to be federal .....the small "garage operations " ..individuals  reselling raw tss to newbies for profit are going to see  greattly reduced business in the future

Federal allready produces in vast quantities the15gg densities ,and does so for as cheap as 19.99 a box in the 20 gauge offerings my bet is the 20 gauge 18gg will go for  30$ and the 12 for arround 40$ a box and people will line up to get it

My only hope is that federal continues to do what thier doing and have a responsible advertizing campaign that doesn't cause" issues "

The last time I checked, a business can mark up something whatever they damn well please.
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

Gobble!

Quote from: donjuan on October 10, 2017, 03:48:47 PM

The last time I checked, a business can mark up something whatever they damn well please.

I may be wrong but I'm expecting Federal to be cheaper than even the guys hand loading can load them for. If that happens things will get very interesting.

chatterbox

Quote from: Gobble! on October 12, 2017, 10:08:57 PM
Quote from: donjuan on October 10, 2017, 03:48:47 PM

I may be wrong but I'm expecting Federal to be cheaper than even the guys hand loading can load them for. If that happens things will get very interesting.
Agreed.....

buzzardroost

Anybody seeing these yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fullfan

I spend way to much time on the net every day, I have not seen anything yet.
Don't gobble at me...