OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Confirmed... Federal loading TSS....  (Read 30053 times)

Offline TheSportsman

Confirmed... Federal loading TSS....
« on: August 04, 2017, 09:43:18 PM »
I'm in the sporting goods business... Heard from great source FEDERAL is going to offer a 100% TSS load for spring 2018 for 12ga and 20ga.... Stay tuned!

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 08:41:37 AM »
Interesting. I am just waiting to see what happens in the next few years now that tss is going mainstream. I am kinda scared actually. I can see turkey hunting become a little more dangerous. I fear the idiot majority are going to ruin it for the responsible minority once again.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline falltoms

Re: Confirmed... Federal loading TSS....
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 11:00:03 AM »
Interesting. I am just waiting to see what happens in the next few years now that tss is going mainstream. I am kinda scared actually. I can see turkey hunting become a little more dangerous. I fear the idiot majority are going to ruin it for the responsible minority once again.

Well put.

Offline TalksToTurkeys

• Longbeard
  • Lycoming Co. Pa.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 01:14:13 PM »
Competition would be a good thing. If safety becomes a concern maybe it's use could be limited to sub gauge use only. It certainly isn't needed in a 12 gauge.

Offline Farmboy27

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 05:46:35 PM »
Competition would be a good thing. If safety becomes a concern maybe it's use could be limited to sub gauge use only. It certainly isn't needed in a 12 gauge.
Lol. You can't really expect to limit a specific shot to a specific gauge! 

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 06:41:12 PM »

Most complain for spending $5 a shell, how many do you think will pay $8-10?

Hevi changed the waterfowl world, but how many still buy steel? Yes you shoot more at waterfowl but some will spend the money no matter what and some will not. There will be some that shoot TSS but most will stick to longbeards and other lead/HTL after buying a box or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 08:28:12 PM »
For me it's not the guns fault or any kind of shell...It's the person pulling the trigger who should be responsible for his or her action in taking game...any kind of hunting has been dangerous from the time of black powder until the modern shells we have now...So i really don't see more people getting shot ....but regardless we all need to remember the 10 commandments of hunting safety. Never point a firearm at anything you don't want to shoot. Identify your target and WHAT is beyond it....

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 09:47:57 PM »
For me it's not the guns fault or any kind of shell...It's the person pulling the trigger who should be responsible for his or her action in taking game...any kind of hunting has been dangerous from the time of black powder until the modern shells we have now...So i really don't see more people getting shot ....but regardless we all need to remember the 10 commandments of hunting safety. Never point a firearm at anything you don't want to shoot. Identify your target and WHAT is beyond it....

Great points, problem is some don't be careful enough and camouflaged hunters don't always get seen.Some states already limit shot size . Missouri is no larger than 4's.The extra energy of the larger sizes turned some injuries into fatalities .The extra energy/penetration of tss maybe a factor,guess time may tell .

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 12:31:46 PM »
Don't some states have min shot size I believe NY can't go smaller than 7.5s so most TSS loads at 8 & 9 wouldn't be legal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline wmahunter

• Flyway Specialties
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 02:13:41 PM »
It's not that it's not needed in a 12 but more that a 12 is not needed with TSS.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline hookedspur

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
Yep it's coming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 07:47:15 PM »
Dang , they just can't get rid of everyone's favorite can they  ::)

The flight control wad  ;D

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 08:08:08 PM »
Dang , they just can't get rid of everyone's favorite can they  ::)

The flight control wad  ;D
That says "works in all chokes". Wasn't the FCW intended for non ported and non wad stripping chokes? Maybe this is something different?
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline owlhoot

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 09:09:41 PM »
Flex wad? Put in waterfowl loads last year I do believe?Also don't believe that they said choke matters with the regular flight control wad. Anyway lots of good people on here have not been overjoyed with that wad to say the least.lol
Hey let's get Clark on it!

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 10:07:30 PM »
Flex wad? Put in waterfowl loads last year I do believe?Also don't believe that they said choke matters with the regular flight control wad. Anyway lots of good people on here have not been overjoyed with that wad to say the least.lol
Hey let's get Clark on it!
The picture looks like a poster that would be used for display, maybe at a meeting of some sort. You can see the "Exit" sign at the top. I'd say someone took a picture of that display.

The new Flitecontrol "Flex" Wad first showed up in the Black Cloud waterfowl loads:

Several key changes have been made to the Black Cloud round, most significant being a redesign of the FLITECONTROL wad. The wad design has always hinged upon the deployment of its rear-mounted petals, which use muzzle pressure to pop open upon exiting the barrel. However, since ported chokes reduce muzzle pressure, they often didn’t provide enough energy to deploy these petals in the original design, leading to inconsistent performance. The FLITECONTROL FLEX wad overcomes this with a more, as the name suggests, flexible set of petals with unique gussets that deploy with far less muzzle pressure. Also, whereas the original FLITECONTROL wad featured small, forward-opening vent wings on the side to allow the shot string to eventually separate from the wad itself, the all-new FLITECONTROL FLEX replaces them with strategically placed slits around the wad body, further enhancing compatibility with both ported and standard chokes.

I have not fired any of those loads, so I can't comment on their performance. The wad, old or new Flitecontrol, is a kind of sabot that is supposed to retain the shot until it leaves the muzzle and then separate, leaving the shot charge largely intact. The first wads were very hard and stiff but the more recent models have been made of thinner and softer material. They worked better with the #7 Heavyweight shot but chokes that defeated the intended purpose still worked best.

There has been no "official" announcement of this new load by Vista Outdoor/Federal, so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."