OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Barrel Lengths  (Read 4183 times)

Offline diyj98

Re: Barrel Lengths
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
I bought a 21" barrel for my 11/87 after I found my 26" barrel catching on the limbs of an autumn olive bush I was hiding in.  Perhaps the 21" could have caught as well, but at least in my head I like the idea of the shorter, handier barrel.

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 10:11:16 PM »
I bought a 21" barrel for my 11/87 after I found my 26" barrel catching on the limbs of an autumn olive bush I was hiding in.  Perhaps the 21" could have caught as well, but at least in my head I like the idea of the shorter, handier barrel.
I doubt if you switch back to your longer barrel very much. I think you will be very pleased.

Offline Ralph-NY

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »
26 inch here.   went shorter in years past but patterns seem more finicky.   this was my best performance by far to date

Offline FL-Boss

• Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 10:38:27 PM »
21 inch barrel and you can think me later....no need for a 24 or 26....with these new chokes and shells get the 21 inch....

Well said. With the chokes/loads available today, it's a whole new ball game...

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2017, 07:37:43 PM »
If I start wing shooting turkeys, I'll break out my heavy and longer barreled guns that I reserve for ducks or clays. Until then, a 24" barrel is as long as I care to tote. Prefer one that's shorter still. Less snag prone and less motion needed when adjusting my aim.

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2017, 07:15:40 AM »
The biggest problem I'm seeing is factory offerings. I bought an 870 SP when they first came out. 26"  fixed Full choke. I've hunted in nearly every situation you can think of with that gun and never really had an issue with the length. That gun is a killer.

I have been thinking that I'd like to get a semi auto. Remington doesn't offer much in the way of short barrels on any of their semis anymore as far as I can tell.  Even the 870s only offer the 21" on the 870 Express but not in camo, which is what I prefer. 

Offline blake_08

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »
My dedicated turkey gun is an 870 SPS with a 20" barrel and i honestly couldn't ask for more as far as patterning goes. With the right choke/load combinations, you can get as good of a 40 yard pattern as any turkey hunter would want. If the thought of a short barrel interests you, i say go for it. 26 and 28 inch barrels are great for some stuff. For me, i'll never pack a long barrel turkey hunting again.

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 07:37:33 PM »
 Check the Remington website, if they have any, then go to Amazon and E-Bay. Good Luck.  :anim_25:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!