turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Barrel Lengths

Started by EZ, August 01, 2017, 07:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

I'm looking to get a new Turkey gun and have pretty much decided on a make and model. The only question I have left is Barrel length. I'm used to a 26" barrel, but thought about going to a 24". Is there any advantage/ disadvantage between barrel length as far as sighting, patterning etc.

LaLongbeard

26" to 24" I doubt you'd see any difference in pattern ,weight of gun or the balance of the gun. Going from 26" to 21" would make a difference in all categories. Usually any pattern problems can be fixed  with choke change or maybe different shells or shot size. I prefer a 23" barrel for turkey hunting and my 870 out patterns a lot of longer barreled guns but I put in some time to find the right choke and load.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Chris O

That 2 inches shorter barrel will be nicer to maneuver and I doubt you could tell much difference in patterns between the 2.I am a short barrel fan so I would go with the 24 ,but if it came with a 21 I would get that.The 24" is a nice length barrel though,It is the longest I would be happy with

dirt road ninja

Farmboy27

I've used everything from a 21" to a 28" barrel for turkey. I can honestly say I've never felt handicapped with any of them. I've always bought guns for the way they handle for me. If a 26" gun feels better than a 24" then buy it and don't worry about maneuverability. 2" isn't going to make or break you. Patterning isn't going to change enough to worry about most likely. The gun is going to be yours. So buy what feels right in your hands! 

grayfox

I've turkey hunted with 21, 24 & 26" barrels. They all kill turkeys just fine. I do love my 21" for getting around in the woods better. One thing you might want to think about is whatever length you get it will probably wind up being 1-2" longer with the choke. I would get the 24.

allaboutshooting

QuoteThe gun is going to be yours. So buy what feels right in your hands!
Very good advice.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Farmboy27 on August 01, 2017, 09:31:33 PM
I've used everything from a 21" to a 28" barrel for turkey. I can honestly say I've never felt handicapped with any of them. I've always bought guns for the way they handle for me. If a 26" gun feels better than a 24" then buy it and don't worry about maneuverability. 2" isn't going to make or break you. Patterning isn't going to change enough to worry about most likely. The gun is going to be yours. So buy what feels right in your hands!

I keep hearing how much more maneuverable a short barrel gun is and for some folks it probably is better. I use a 26" Browning BPS and carry it with a wide sling. Its normally tilted back and just slides under any branches with no issues. What I really like about the 26" is the longer sight plain. I frequently hunt open fields where the shots can be longer and here the 26" really shines. Woods hunting on private land or public is also not an issue. I do use open sights. If you hunt with a buddy they will appreciate that longer barrel as the blast from that shorter barrel can be very disconcerting to shooter or anyone close by. I hate it when my ears ring.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Greg Massey

21 inch barrel and you can think me later....no need for a 24 or 26....with these new chokes and shells get the 21 inch....

Chris O

Quote from: mtns2hunt on August 02, 2017, 09:29:43 PM
Quote from: Farmboy27 on August 01, 2017, 09:31:33 PM

I keep hearing how much more maneuverable a short barrel gun is and for some folks it probably is better. I use a 26" Browning BPS and carry it with a wide sling. Its normally tilted back and just slides under any branches with no issues. What I really like about the 26" is the longer sight plain. I frequently hunt open fields where the shots can be longer and here the 26" really shines. Woods hunting on private land or public is also not an issue. I do use open sights. If you hunt with a buddy they will appreciate that longer barrel as the blast from that shorter barrel can be very disconcerting to shooter or anyone close by. I hate it when my ears ring.
I notice it most when I'm sitting and there is a little tree where you can't swing or a bush or something. I used a 26 for many years and killed birds just fine,but If you had a 21" to put on your gun to try you might be like wow I really like this.

greencop01

I've got an 870 SPS w/ a 21 inch barrel. After using it for 4 yrs I will always have a short barreled turkey gun. Easy walking in the woods, haven't clipped branches or brush, and hits as hard as anything. Its all personal preference, but a short barrel, I'll never go back to a long barrel.  :z-twocents:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

daddyduke

Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

davisd9

Love the 24" barrel on my 835, wish my 20 ga 500 had a 22" barrel rather than the 26" it has.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Yoder409

My current guns are 21, 23, 25, 26 and 28.   Of those, the 26 is probably my favorite, followed by the shorter ones. 

The 23" gun was originally a 30-incher.   I'm 6'2"".  So stick an extended choke in it and sling it on my shoulder and I'm effectively about 7 feet tall going through the woods.   I was forever getting hung up on limbs.  So off to the saw that one went.  The 28" is also a bit of a pain, but manageable.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

paboxcall

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 02, 2017, 11:05:39 PM
21 inch barrel and you can think me later....no need for a 24 or 26....with these new chokes and shells get the 21 inch....

:agreed:

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer