turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best wood,and soundboard material.

Started by EasternGobblerHunter69, July 06, 2017, 12:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EasternGobblerHunter69

Anyone with any insight or knowledge of making a bare or raw aluminum call im needing to know the best wood for my pot,and best soundboard material to use. Thx ur help is appreciated.
Call will be a 3 1/2" call.
When you quit learning from turkey hunting, your doing something wrong!

mossyhorn2

The choices are endless but in native wood I like walnut, hickory, and kentucky coffee tree. In the exotics I like canarywood and yellowheart. These all work for me but may not be the best for you. I have not tried a lot of other exotics, which there are many, but trying different woods is half the fun. If you want a simple answer it would be walnut. Good Luck!

mossyhorn2

For the soundboard I like slate the best, but glass and aluminum are also good.

Castor River Calls

Slate is my favorite for the sound board. As far as wood Walnut, Cherry, Sassafras.

EasternGobblerHunter69

Thanks for yalls suggestions. Also on brrokside if i order a diamondwood dowel which head would u recommend to complete the striker? Any suggestions where to get bare aluminum in 3 1/2"?
When you quit learning from turkey hunting, your doing something wrong!

Disney

I just bought some real nice 3.5" bare aluminum from Grassy Creek. I just finished a walnut burl and Tigerwood (Goncalo Alves), both over slate and they sound awesome. I seem to like harder wood for aluminum, especially the bare aluminum. It's all a matter of personal choice I guess and what tone or pitch you want.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com

Disney

As far as dymondwood  or any other wood peg or tip, it's a matter of personal choice. I like a round tip, other people like a flat tip.
Maker of Timber Tune Custom made pot calls. Fine domestic and beautiful exotic wood.
timbertunes126@gmail.com