OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who makes the best trumpet?

Started by turkeykiller22, July 25, 2017, 09:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mossyhorn2

I've got one from  "Crawdad" that didn't break the bank and sounds great.

Jbird22

I have one from Doug Morgan and one from Kenny Pedelahore. Both make good ones in my book.

quavers59

I have a yelper trumpet from the mid-1990s made by Ron Clough. Makes good gobbler yelps and bonks. I usually take it out in the Fall.

callmakerman

Along with the others that have been mentioned is Steve Lumma. He makes a great trumpet if you can find one. Not sure if he's still building them or not

North of 8

Brian Mero for sure. EZ to play and Brian has earned more GRAND CHAMPION awards than any other maker (Turpin :z-winnersmiley: Award-1st place)

gaswamp

Quote from: North of 8 on August 07, 2017, 02:19:00 AM
Brian Mero for sure. EZ to play and Brian has earned more GRAND CHAMPION awards than any other maker (Turpin :z-winnersmiley: Award-1st place)

do grand champion awards really mean anything?

Clovis67

Grand Champion....Turpin Award Winner...do these awards really mean anything...??
Sure does... It means Mero had built a trumpet that sounded better and was easier to use than all others
in the competition.When a person wins multiple Turpin Awards... That speaks volumes about the individuals ability to craft a caller that is pure turkey....

Clovis67

And  everyone has a personal favorite callmaker...but when a group of judges agree that one particular call stands out above the competition... Then that call has shown itself to those judges to be the best sounding caller.
I know everyone has an opinion...just like anything ...its all subjective and a matter of personal preference.
When they start using a real live wild turkey for a judge...then I'm sure that some will claim that the turkey is just a horny 2 yr old bird when it gobbles at a Mero trumpet... :drool:

nitro

I have been to a bunch of NWTF conventions and watched the "judges" try to run a trumpet call...

Some of them needed an instruction sheet to show which end was the one to "blow into"

It's a friggin joke. :toothy12: :TooFunny:
Royal Slam 2008