OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Striker weight got some made up  (Read 5022 times)

Offline mmclain

Re: Striker weight
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2017, 01:40:24 AM »
That does answer some of the questions I have. Being a competive archer I do a lot of balancing of arrows (FOC) also to get the stabilizer to balance the bow. Been thinking about building some strikers that have a way to add / subtract weight in the top so it can be adjusted to the user, has any one tried any like this
Competition call guys add weight with electrical tape or rubber bands often.

Offline mmclain

Re: Striker weight
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2017, 01:46:50 AM »
Too heavy and it ruins to tone. Too light it ruins it as well  You can go too far in either direction and ruin a striker. 

Offline NCbowjunkie

• The Boss Gobbler
Striker weight
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2017, 03:54:18 PM »
 Here is a small run of strikers that I have put a weight/balance into the top of the striker, on left are black locust, on right is dymonwood. And persimmon  if any one in trying one pm me. Cost for these are $12 plus shipping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Striker weight got some made up
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 04:32:32 PM »
 Straight tip

Offline 2nd 100

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »
Heavy strikers with a small diameter rod and most definately a straight tip.

Offline WillowRidgeCalls

• Double Beard
    • WillowRidgeCalls.com
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »
I've been balancing every striker I've build for years. The striker is your tuning fork on a pot call. The weight will make a difference of how a call sound, but the weight will change with every call. Each call requires a certain weight depending on what surface is on it, and what wood the pot is made of, to get the best sound and performance out of that call. For example, a walnut top may weigh anywhere from 14 to 20 grams, and a peg will weigh 6 to 11 grams depending on what kind of wood it is? The weight of your striker is determined by how you play a call, if your an aggressive player you might want a lighter striker, if your a more softer player, than a heavier striker may perform better for you?
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »
I've been balancing every striker I've build for years. The striker is your tuning fork on a pot call. The weight will make a difference of how a call sound, but the weight will change with every call. Each call requires a certain weight depending on what surface is on it, and what wood the pot is made of, to get the best sound and performance out of that call. For example, a walnut top may weigh anywhere from 14 to 20 grams, and a peg will weigh 6 to 11 grams depending on what kind of wood it is? The weight of your striker is determined by how you play a call, if your an aggressive player you might want a lighter striker, if your a more softer player, than a heavier striker may perform better for you?

Dog Gon! Just when I thought I was starting to get this pot call and striker thing down someone has to go throw another wrinkle in the works LOL!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline mmclain

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2017, 09:55:48 PM »
And some woods just suck as strikers. No matter the weight.