Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

WHAT ACTIVITY OR JOB KEEPS YOU IN SHAPE FOR YOUR NEXT TURKEY HUNTING SEASON??

Started by quavers59, July 23, 2017, 02:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TauntoHawk

Right now I'm preparing for an elk hunt in Idaho so turkey sounds like a day in the park.. outside of hunting I'd say exercise is my favorite hobby

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WiLL B

I am a Triathlete. I suck at swimming but I do it, I'm an average or a little better biker. I'm a very good age group runner. I do some strength training. I do a lot of races in a year cause it's fun and outdoors. I take a break from it during turkey season and just hunt. But at 52 I can still cover ground if needed!

mtns2hunt

Quote from: WiLL B on July 24, 2017, 12:15:23 AM
I am a Triathlete. I suck at swimming but I do it, I'm an average or a little better biker. I'm a very good age group runner. I do some strength training. I do a lot of races in a year cause it's fun and outdoors. I take a break from it during turkey season and just hunt. But at 52 I can still cover ground if needed!

52! My God, I would love to see 52 again. Triathlete? I cover a lot of ground as I love to run and gun and I'm in my 60's. I guess I'm a quad athlete. I run, bike, climb mountains lift weights, lift a fishing pole and work my butt off to hunt turkeys, deer and pretty much anything else I can legally shoot at. Unfortunately I too ain't much at swimming but been thinking of spear fishing. I'd say you have a way to go yet! Just joshing you a bit :z-guntootsmiley:
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Uncle Nicky

Nothing really, I hate formal exercise. Walking the dogs and fall hunting with my dog is about the extent of it. I'm one of those guys who needs a heart attack to change their lifestyle.

Tail Feathers

I'm something of a work triathlete.  I run my mouth, push my luck and jump to conclusions all day! :goofball:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Muzzy61

I have a two year old grandson, that we keep. He keeps me on the go, he doesn't understand the phrase " you got to give Pop a second...)
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

quavers59

Meadow Valley Man

I'm a retired career firefighter.  I caddie at Sand Valley Golf Resort in Nekoosa Wisconsin. It's a six to seven mile walk carrying clubs (a couple pounds heavier than a gobbler).  Keeps the legs in shape and pays for my hunts. Win-win!

WiLL B

Quote from: mtns2hunt on July 24, 2017, 09:47:55 AM

52! My God, I would love to see 52 again. Triathlete? I cover a lot of ground as I love to run and gun and I'm in my 60's. I guess I'm a quad athlete. I run, bike, climb mountains lift weights, lift a fishing pole and work my butt off to hunt turkeys, deer and pretty much anything else I can legally shoot at. Unfortunately I too ain't much at swimming but been thinking of spear fishing. I'd say you have a way to go yet! Just joshing you a bit :z-guntootsmiley:
I hope to be able to still roll in my sixties. I just take it one season (year) at a time. I can still roll at 52 anyway. Makes it easier getting to those distant gobblers!

Cut N Run

I got busted up in a vehicle wreck 10 years ago and I exercise to the best of my ability every day.  I used to play hockey 3 nights a week, then run 4-5 miles & do 300-500 pushups every day in between.  Being in that kind of condition saved my life when I got T-boned by the drunk idiot in the other vehicle.  My hockey career ended that night, as did my running & pushups.

These days, I kayak many miles each weekend (and troll for fish when I'm doing it), I walk every morning before work 3-4 miles, and as part of my work I run a probe and dig with a Razorback shovel daily. I can tell how hard a day it was by how many T shirts I saturate with sweat... there's a reason they sell those pocket T's in 4 packs.  On holidays I scuba dive in the tropics for fun, though in heavy currents, it can be a severe workout.  I'm 56 years old and lucky to be on this side of the dirt.

I'm happy for every day & every day of turkey season I get.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

pauld

mtns2hunt

Quote from: WiLL B on July 24, 2017, 11:42:09 PM

I hope to be able to still roll in my sixties. I just take it one season (year) at a time. I can still roll at 52 anyway. Makes it easier getting to those distant gobblers!

Seriously, all any of us can do is take it one season at a time. Once knew a guy I would see hunting with a group on public land. He hunted with a Python, 44. He would walk miles and always seemed to be the one that came out with the big buck. The last year I seen him he was coming up the hill toward the parking area. He was all crunched up and using two walking canes the type that had the brace on the handle to give more support. His face was worn as only pain can make it. He had been in a bad car accident. (like someone else on this post mentioned.) It really brought tears to my eyes even through at the time I worked in an ER with a level one trauma center.

You just never know. I have been very lucky I have always exercised and hunted.

WiLL B

Quote from: mtns2hunt on July 25, 2017, 09:27:09 PM

Seriously, all any of us can do is take it one season at a time. Once knew a guy I would see hunting with a group on public land. He hunted with a Python, 44. He would walk miles and always seemed to be the one that came out with the big buck. The last year I seen him he was coming up the hill toward the parking area. He was all crunched up and using two walking canes the type that had the brace on the handle to give more support. His face was worn as only pain can make it. He had been in a bad car accident. (like someone else on this post mentioned.) It really brought tears to my eyes even through at the time I worked in an ER with a level one trauma center.

All of us (even the fittest most healthy) are only one illness or injury away from being crippled. I thank God every day for my good health!

mtns2hunt

Quote from: WiLL B on July 25, 2017, 10:14:33 PM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on July 25, 2017, 09:27:09 PM

All of us (even the fittest most healthy) are only one illness or injury away from being crippled. I thank God every day for my good health!

Amen to that!

Also wanted to mention that I cut my fire wood in the middle of the summer. This is an intense work out in several ways. Lots of walking, lifting and rolling. It works several different muscle groups and helps one stay flexable. Need to stay hydrated but it will certainly tone yoy up. I cut both on a farm and on public and with a permit.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff