turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got a big problem, need help

Started by SinGin, July 19, 2017, 08:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

compton30

Try offering the guy a cold beer and being pleasant, if capable.

Chris O

I actually think that if she has waited this long to date that she might have a pretty good idea what she is looking for and has made a descent decision already.I am friends with a few cops and I have to give them crap about doughnuts all the time.

SinGin

All great ideas guys.. of course I will be plesent with the young lad, I just want to make sure to not get to comfortable too quickly and that what ever he might be thinking I always have my eyes on him.

bbcoach

Be Honest and Upfront with him.  Let him know your Expectations.  This will ALWAYS be your little girl!  Don't forget about your daughter as well.  Let her know that she will always be your little girl but you respect her decisions.  Let her know that she can come to you if she has problems but don't expect it since she'll want to be an adult and handle it her way.  Give them both your support and pray to God that they both Love and honor one another.  Tough road ahead, been here twice.   

Tail Feathers

Quote from: SinGin on July 20, 2017, 07:16:20 AM
All great ideas guys.. of course I will be plesent with the young lad, I just want to make sure to not get to comfortable too quickly and that what ever he might be thinking I always have my eyes on him.
Well then you don't have to say a word.  Just leave a long range rifle out, along with a huge spotting scope and a note with his patrol car number on it where he can see it all. :TooFunny:

True story, I was cleaning my duck one afternoon when my middle daughter unexpectedly brought a suitor over.  I had reassembled the gun and was doing a final wipedown when she brought him in.  He wasn't intimidated.  In fact he commented rather excitedly "that's a Browning A-5!  My grandfather has one just like it.  Those shoot great!"
I kind of like that one, but she wound up with a better one a couple of years later.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Happy

My 16 year old daughter has a boy she is dating. We have rules and obviously they are supervised at all times. If your daughter has made it to 21 before dating then be grateful and understand she is an adult now and there comes a point to where you have to trust their upbringing. Believe me it's sucks to see my little girl starting to grow up but it is part of life and I can say she seems to have chosen a pretty decent kid. Already signed up for the airforce and he has a plan for his life. It's going to happen to almost everyone that has a daughter and as a father I just want to see her with a fellow that loves her and respects her and will put her first. I am saving the scare tactics for the bums and ghetto wannabe's. Good luck and if he is a good fellow you may want to keep a good thing going. Not many decent fellows around these days.

Sent from my SM-G800R4 using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GOOSESLAYER

trust your daughter and more importantly trust the way you raised her. If the guys becoming a cop he most likely has a good head on his shoulders to put his life on the line to protect. Get to know him then make judgment.

daddyduke

Next time he comes over have a bible study.
Colossians 3:12 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.

Old Gobbler

It could be worse she could be dating a Hillary Clinton supporter
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

renegade19

Quote from: bbcoach on July 20, 2017, 07:24:09 AM
Be Honest and Upfront with him.  Let him know your Expectations.  This will ALWAYS be your little girl!  Don't forget about your daughter as well.  Let her know that she will always be your little girl but you respect her decisions.  Let her know that she can come to you if she has problems but don't expect it since she'll want to be an adult and handle it her way.  Give them both your support and pray to God that they both Love and honor one another.  Tough road ahead, been here twice.   

In a similar situation with a slightly younger daughter.  This is the way I handled it and it's been good so far.  I have had many discussions with my daughter in the past on how she should expect to be treated and I've also tried my butt off to set the example with how I treat her mother! 

pauld

Quote from: Old Gobbler on July 21, 2017, 08:38:09 AM

It could be worse she could be dating a Hillary Clinton supporter

I was going to aim for something along those lines too.

I've got a kid, much younger but... BUT... I keep to a simple principle. "These are my expectations and the teachings I have to give you. One day you will make your own decisions and face your own rewards and reprocussions, if you want my advise, I'll give it. If you don't want my advise then I will trust that I have done my job as a parent and instilled the values you need in you so that you will make wise and smart decisions. I cannot be with you all the time, though I will be there for you all the time. Don't disappoint yourself in your decisions. Grind hard, Work hard, Never give up."

We talk about it DAILY!

g8rvet

Honestly, not much you SAY is going to make much difference with your daughter or her beau.  It is much more about what you DO.  Treat her momma with love and respect.  Treat her with love a respect.  Don't be his pal.  He probably has pals.  Be cordial, but not too cordial at first. 

If he is really impressed with her, he will be a little nervous around you.  Grudgingly give him more and more respect as he earns it.  Sounds like you raised your daughter right and she will make good choices.  About all you can really hope for anyways.  Mine is 24 and knows her Daddy will help her with advice and in any way I can. Notice how he treats his mom.  That is a great clue with how he will treat his wife. 

Mine was over at our house with her boyfriend.  We had spent the day scalloping.  They had been living together about 1 year (dating about 3) and they were leaving after we had cleaned the boat and scallops.  I always walk anyone out of my house as they leave and I was standing on the porch as they were leaving.  I said "Love y'all" as they were getting in car. Did not mean to come out, in fact I did not even remember saying it when my daughter called me and told me her bf talked about nothing else on the way home.  When she told me I had said it, I said "Dangit, it just slipped out".  But looking back, I probably meant it.   
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.