OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: THE MYTH OF THE BEST SPRING TURKEY HUNTER  (Read 18294 times)

Offline Castor River Calls

Re: THE MYTH OF THE BEST SPRING TURKEY HUNTER
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2017, 05:53:12 AM »
Every turkey hunter I ever knew defined success a little differently. I know one fella who travels a lot and a couple years ago killed 18 gobblers (that's right 18) over a five week period. In the end he complained because he had a total of 20 permits and failed to fill two of them. Another turkey hunter I am privlaged to know never hunted more than 15 miles from home. He hunted hard for 2 1\2 weeks with several close calls and finally killed a hard charging 2 year old late in the season with his hand made Osage longbow. The second hunter was much more satisfied and happy with his one lone two year old than the guy who shot 18 but failed to " limit out". Success is all about perspective and personal satisfaction.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2017, 05:58:35 PM »
I rarely watch hunting shows any more, regardless of the game they are after. The vast majority of the guys on those shows have the money, time, opportunity and most importantly the access to game rich lands to hunt on. These shows have absolutely NOTHING to do with the experiences of the average hunter, which is most of us. Time + money + opportunity + game rich lands = gaudy numbers of gobblers harvested. PERIOD!! I've said for many years now that I'd love to see some of these "experts" come down to Dixie for a late season hunt on heavily pressured public land. Their success rates would plummet. I refuse to support those guys.
That is also the same reason I support all legal methods of hunting. Some people don't have the same opportunities as others, and I personally have several friends who can only get out in the woods 2 or 3 times a season, always on heavily pressured public land. I WoUlD NeVeR Be So PoMpOuS As To JuDgE, CrItIcIzE Or BeLiTtLe SoMeOnE FoR NoT EmPlOyInG ThE SaMe TaCtIcS As I ChOsE To UsE. :z-twocents:

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2017, 09:17:31 AM »
  I WoUlD NeVeR Be So PoMpOuS As To JuDgE, CrItIcIzE Or BeLiTtLe SoMeOnE FoR NoT EmPlOyInG ThE SaMe TaCtIcS As I ChOsE To UsE. :z-twocents:

;D :TooFunny:  I love the subtle reference,...but only those of us that have been around these forums for a while would get the point.  ...Good one, though!

Offline idratherb

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2017, 11:05:11 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2017, 01:54:55 PM »
I rarely watch hunting shows any more, regardless of the game they are after. The vast majority of the guys on those shows have the money, time, opportunity and most importantly the access to game rich lands to hunt on. These shows have absolutely NOTHING to do with the experiences of the average hunter, which is most of us. Time + money + opportunity + game rich lands = gaudy numbers of gobblers harvested. PERIOD!! I've said for many years now that I'd love to see some of these "experts" come down to Dixie for a late season hunt on heavily pressured public land. Their success rates would plummet. I refuse to support those guys.
That is also the same reason I support all legal methods of hunting. Some people don't have the same opportunities as others, and I personally have several friends who can only get out in the woods 2 or 3 times a season, always on heavily pressured public land. I WoUlD NeVeR Be So PoMpOuS As To JuDgE, CrItIcIzE Or BeLiTtLe SoMeOnE FoR NoT EmPlOyInG ThE SaMe TaCtIcS As I ChOsE To UsE. :z-twocents:

But how can you be my turkey hunting hero if you don't judge others?!?!   :drool:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2017, 11:07:26 AM »
I like to Turkey Hunt...........The End! :goofball: :funnyturkey: :goofball:
Well said.  :z-guntootsmiley:

Offline grayfox

• Longbeard
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2017, 12:02:51 AM »
I'm God's gift to turkey hunting :angel9: 
He put me here to make all the rest of the other turkey hunters look great! :fud:

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2017, 09:16:46 AM »
I'm God's gift to turkey hunting :angel9: 
He put me here to make all the rest of the other turkey hunters look great! :fud:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  ...In that case, he must have made two of us!

Offline tha bugman

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »
 :happy0064: :z-winnersmiley:
I like to Turkey Hunt...........The End! :goofball: :funnyturkey: :goofball:

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2017, 11:48:54 PM »
My pee pee is big enough to keep me and my wife happy and I don't care about the size of your'un, thank you very much, so put that nasty thang away.   :toothy9: :thanks:
:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2017, 04:46:21 PM »
Well, well, well....I have not even looked at the sight for a while and was bored today so decided to browse. Man a pissing match is almost as much fun a turkey hunt....ahhhh (thinking hard) no not really!

I love to hunt turkeys as much as Mongo like candy! I have grown old chasing a stupid bird and when I was younger acted stupid doing it. I went through the phase of my tool is  bigger than yours (translated for the weaker mind...I'm the greatest damn turkey hunter ever). I went through the "I've killed this many phase" and learned if your counting you haint kilt enough. Now I just want to kill the one I'm set up on.

I have known hunted with and around some of the TV personalities and can tell you some are real tools and do not make the grade. I will name one name of a real man's turkey hunter that impressed me as a person and turkey hunter...Harold Knight. Now I only met him once and watched him hunt that one time, but I think i was right to be impressed. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I won't name the two or three I classified as pure jerks. In most cases these guys are set up on hunts. With that said some are very good hunters.

As for me, I have not killed enough, because I plan on killing more. I have killed the unkillable and those too stupid to eat and enjoyed busting the heads of both. Have I said I love to hunt turkeys? I don't sort them out I just hunt them, on private land, public land, at home and away. Did I say I love to hunt turkeys? I enjoy chewing the fat with other turkey hunters, but have a low tolerance for fools and braggarts. I can usually figure out a person's skill level in a short conversation.

I have been around the forums and I know who I would not want showing up on my last gobbling bird from these forums, unless I could tag along and watch "the nut" kill my favorite bird.

I will close my post by saying I am a horrible turkey hunter and everyone's birds are safe around me. So if you want some free entertainment I'm available to hunt your favorite woods....really your gobblers are safe :turkey2:

Offline idratherb

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2017, 02:25:01 PM »
 :OGani:

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »
Well, well, well....I have not even looked at the sight for a while and was bored today so decided to browse. Man a pissing match is almost as much fun a turkey hunt....ahhhh (thinking hard) no not really!

I love to hunt turkeys as much as Mongo like candy! I have grown old chasing a stupid bird and when I was younger acted stupid doing it. I went through the phase of my tool is  bigger than yours (translated for the weaker mind...I'm the greatest damn turkey hunter ever). I went through the "I've killed this many phase" and learned if your counting you haint kilt enough. Now I just want to kill the one I'm set up on.

I have known hunted with and around some of the TV personalities and can tell you some are real tools and do not make the grade. I will name one name of a real man's turkey hunter that impressed me as a person and turkey hunter...Harold Knight. Now I only met him once and watched him hunt that one time, but I think i was right to be impressed. Someone can correct me if I am wrong. I won't name the two or three I classified as pure jerks. In most cases these guys are set up on hunts. With that said some are very good hunters.

As for me, I have not killed enough, because I plan on killing more. I have killed the unkillable and those too stupid to eat and enjoyed busting the heads of both. Have I said I love to hunt turkeys? I don't sort them out I just hunt them, on private land, public land, at home and away. Did I say I love to hunt turkeys? I enjoy chewing the fat with other turkey hunters, but have a low tolerance for fools and braggarts. I can usually figure out a person's skill level in a short conversation.

I have been around the forums and I know who I would not want showing up on my last gobbling bird from these forums, unless I could tag along and watch "the nut" kill my favorite bird.

I will close my post by saying I am a horrible turkey hunter and everyone's birds are safe around me. So if you want some free entertainment I'm available to hunt your favorite woods....really your gobblers are safe :turkey2:

AND, right there is a man that gets it!  Well said sir, well said. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »
Why thank you sir, I appreciate the comment.

Offline idratherb

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2017, 09:11:38 PM »
 :jackson: