OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need a really good Vest

Started by mtns2hunt, July 17, 2017, 04:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

I know that this topic has come up before but I am in need of a new uptodate Turkey vest. I have sewen up several tears and rips in my current vest. Problem is I have been unable to find a quality vest. I need box call holders and pot call holders in convenent locations. Every thing I look at seems cheap and not well laid out. Suggestions are appreaiated!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

FL-Boss

I went on a crusade this past year to find the perfect vest. Won't get into to all the details, but I tried about 5 of the most popular vests being made.  For me, I wanted something tough, but not too big/bulky.

This was the vest I ended up keeping  - http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-Tactical-Tatr-Turkey-Vest/730722.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dturkey%2Bvest

The layout is real nice, and it's super strong material - especially when compared to the Ol Tom vests I have used in the past. 

SteelerFan

I switched to an Alps fanny pack / turkey pouch this season. I don't use a cushion - I switched to a lounger, so a traditional vest wasn't necessary. I was looking for something I would take off and set beside me when working a bird.

Here is the review:

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,74308.msg726337.html#msg726337

I got the whole set on sale for under $60 at the time, but I would not hesitate to pay more. It's very well made.

earl9932

Can't offer a specific vest but what I do have to offer is about design/layout. I've tried on vest that look good and feel good while standing up but once you take a seat, it jams up and you can't reach stuff. Would seem to me the designer would start off in a sitting position and move up for a form vs function perspective.

Tomcat655

an ol tom time and motion is hard to beat with that quick magnetic seat.  It doesn't have big bulky straps when you shoulder your weapon and its light.  Always a thought

compton30

This is the vest I use and really like it. Inexpensive, comfortable, and I haven't had any issues with fabric ripping like some folks who've "reviewed" it have. Maybe I just got the only good one.

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Striker-Turkey-Vest-for-Men/product/13082106113916/?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions

tha bugman

hands down I think the Redhead Turkey Lounger is the best. While the pocket layout is not my favorite, the self supporting seat is just hard to beat.

LaLongbeard

Could not find what I needed so I modified a new MO elite vest. Removed all the plastic buckles and clanking zippers replaced with buttons . Made pockets specific for pot calls tube calls locator strikers etc. moved the box call pouch to the side out of the way. Added a couple of paracord loops to tie off thermocells gps and other items I have lanyards on so they don't get lost. Took a little while to customize but it's the nearest thing to what I wanted. Most of the vest sold now are not designed by turkey hunters there just a pile of cheap fabric and random pockets and zippers.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

LaLongbeard

LaLongbeard

LaLongbeard

This is what the vest looked like when I got it. Poorly made and placed call pockets with clanking metal zippers everywhere.

eddie234

Something to keep in mind, the cabelas tactical tatr has a lifetime guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coop1082

I've honestly been lucky enough to have good experiences with Ol' Tom. Used their Essentials vest the past few years with no issues, and just recently upgraded to the Time and Motion 2.0 thanks to my wife. It was a gift for my birthday so I'll definitely be giving it a run. That being said the one she got me does lack a little in the "material" department but for the most part it seems well put together. The amount of storage is crazy and I really like the pocket layout! To each his own! I find myself toting a quick sack a lot of the time instead of the vest so mine maybe doesn't get the wear and tear that other guys' vests experience, but I've been pleased so far with the Ol' Tom line!
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

PALongspur

I'm always looking. I like the Cabelas vests for layout and durability but I much prefer a full shoulder vest for all day comfort. Bought one of the new Mossy Oak vests this year and long story short I'm on my 4th one after several free replacements. I'd say if you luck into an older version, you'll be pleased with it.

Tempted to try the Alpz version of the Super Elite for next year but I'd really like to see one in person before I take the plunge.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: Phillipshunt on July 18, 2017, 09:56:08 AM
Could not find what I needed so I modified a new MO elite vest. Removed all the plastic buckles and clanking zippers replaced with buttons . Made pockets specific for pot calls tube calls locator strikers etc. moved the box call pouch to the side out of the way. Added a couple of paracord loops to tie off thermocells gps and other items I have lanyards on so they don't get lost. Took a little while to customize but it's the nearest thing to what I wanted. Most of the vest sold now are not designed by turkey hunters there just a pile of cheap fabric and random pockets and zippers.

My vest is similar to yours and I like the idea of modifying it. Really all I need to do is strengthen it and I have several yards of camo material that I use for tree stand seats. I do not l have time to do the work myself but there is no shortage of seamstresses around. My current vest has enough box call holders, pot call holders as well as other pockets for storage.

I will look at some of the suggestions put forth so far but I have to have a vest. I do not like a pack as it is not organized enough for me when turkey hunting although I do use a fanny pack when deer and coyote hunting. Will be looking at the other suggestions presented as nothing is set in stone. Thanks!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.