Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Number Of Wild Turkeys--What Is Your Goal in A Season??

Started by quavers59, July 13, 2017, 03:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g8rvet

Does my heart good to see the evolved turkey hunters on this site.  Even when we argue, it is nice to see folks basically think alike. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

derek

Original question - short answer - My goal is to fill every tag I have. 

Now to explain - my ultimate goal in turkey hunting is to spend every day available in the spring woods.  To do this, I hunt multiple states and try to have enough tags available in order to make this happen.  Being "tagged out" and missing possible days in the woods doesn't really do it for me.. I want to be somewhere hunting tomorrow. 

Now, I know damn well that I won't be filling every tag I have.. that would be fairly unrealistic..  Doesn't mean I won't try.  The first and only time this has happened was the season I killed my first turkey.. second day I hunted that year #2 fell and I was done for the season.  I won't let that happen again.  I suppose I could take people and what not, but turkey hunting is a 1 on 1 game to me, and I really enjoy extending my season into other states and seeing new things. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

Greg Massey

Quote from: g8rvet on July 14, 2017, 02:47:59 PM
Does my heart good to see the evolved turkey hunters on this site.  Even when we argue, it is nice to see folks basically think alike.
Agree 100 percent. Most of those who like to argue only come around during or just before turkey season opens...good group of guys and girls on this forum...good post...

mspaci

My goal is to be one of the new turkey hunters, or shoot a flying fall bird. Just sayin,  Mike

greencop01

My season's goal is not number killed but quality hunts vs smart toms. :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

TRG3

Southern Illinois has five seasons and a hunter may have up to three permits. While I usually fill my three permits with mature gobblers, I'm always somewhat sad when I fill a permit since that means my hunting is over until my next tag comes into season. The land owners often ends up with of the some turkey white meat. If I fail to fill a tag, it's usually because I've learned a new way to screw up my opportunity.

quavers59

Great replys here!! Thanks for sharing... During my first 5 full Spring and Fall turkey hunts- I was trying to break the ice . Finally I did with less then 1 week left in that 5th Spring. So now -6 in a season is my goal- but if I get just 1 gobbler- I am still happy because I remember what I went through just to tag my first one.

owlhoot

One state one bird and I am good.
Taking someone else it's sure nice to get a bird to their  gun , but even then they need to enjoy just being out there too. Don't do it for money or bragging rights so no pressure there.
Just out enjoying the season.

Cut N Run

I get 2 tags each year and my goal is to have great hunts attempting to spend them on mature gobblers. I'm not crushed if I fall short of that goal.  My goal is also to let every jake I see walk.  I'd rather eat tag soup than take next year's longbeard off the properties I hunt.  What anybody else does with their tags is up to them.

I attempt to take one bird without using decoys and the other with decoys, just because I can.   

I suppose my ultimate goal is to live until next Spring so I can enjoy hunting turkeys again.  I have nothing happening with me which suggests I won't get that chance,  I've just unexpectedly lost a couple of friends recently and it makes me enjoy every day a little more. I don't take any days for granted.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

J Lacey

2020 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2020 GNCC Amateur National Champion
2022 Ohio Buckeye World Champion
2022 GNCC Don Chancey award winner

Gooserbat

I usually get 5-7 per year and call in 15-20 that someone else kills. Always wanted to get a double digit year but it's not happened yet.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

yelpaholic

my goal is to get every one i set down to killed..not very realistic.. but thats my goal anyway ,lol

Hooksfan

Im a turkey hunter. When I go hunting, my goal is to kill a turkey. Can I go and not kill one and be happy?  You bet. But you can also bet I'm gonna be trying to figure out how to kill the one that got away.
I always hate discussions and talk about how many folks have killed...Pretty much a turn off to me.
But, I also don't buy into the "I'm evolved beyond the kill stage in my hunter progression " nonsense either.
A lot of different factors come into play on how many birds a person can or has killed and not all folks experiences and opportunities are equal.
My brother and I both grew up hunting Southeast Louisiana turkeys.  We both have nearly 40 years experience and both hunt with the same basic techniques. He killed the only bird that was killed in a lease with 16 members...most of which turkey hunt. I wouldare say, a good number of the "number touters" would be hard pressed to get a bird down there. When he comes to visit me in Missouri, his success rate goes dramatically up. Kinda weird how that has worked out that way for the past 19 years straight.
Getting back on topic....., I would have to honestly say that if I reached the point that I truly didn't care if I killed one, I would take up another hobby...perhaps baking cookies or something.

mtns2hunt

[quote author=H
Getting back on topic....., I would have to honestly say that if I reached the point that I truly didn't care if I killed one, I would take up another hobby...perhaps baking cookies or something.
[/quote]

I don't think anyone is saying they don't care if they kill turkeys or not. Rather they have evolved to the point that killing turkeys or large numbers is not the only factor in the hunt. I for one enjoy the green up of Spring and especially the sound of all the song birds. They just sound so happy. I enjoy looking for morel mushrooms or last Falls buck rub. I care about wheather I kill a jake or not as that Jake will be next years Tom.

Now when I was younger I killed everything but over time became more selective. I have hunted all over this great country of ours and there is so much to enjoy. I believe that Turkey hunters over time learn to kill turkeys regularly and start to lose their tunnel vision and enjoy whole hunt more. As for cookies: they do make a great snack.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Hooksfan

Quote from: mtns2hunt on July 16, 2017, 09:55:43 PM
[quote author=H

I don't think anyone is saying they don't care if they kill turkeys or not. Rather they have evolved to the point that killing turkeys or large numbers is not the only factor in the hunt. I for one enjoy the green up of Spring and especially the sound of all the song birds. They just sound so happy. I enjoy looking for morel mushrooms or last Falls buck rub. I care about wheather I kill a jake or not as that Jake will be next years Tom.

Now when I was younger I killed everything but over time became more selective. I have hunted all over this great country of ours and there is so much to enjoy. I believe that Turkey hunters over time learn to kill turkeys regularly and start to lose their tunnel vision and enjoy whole hunt more. As for cookies: they do make a great snack.
[/quote]

I hear ya and agree with where you are coming from. Guess what I hate to see is situations where hunters try to compare themselves to others.
But..... I did cook a pretty mean blackberry cobbler this morning. Can't be a big adjustment to switch to cookies...