Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Number Of Wild Turkeys--What Is Your Goal in A Season??

Started by quavers59, July 13, 2017, 03:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strutnrut

I dont even know how many i have killed. I enjoy hunting them so much I wish I could being them back to life and hunt them again.

Farmboy27

My goal is just to hear and work birds. Given the population in my area the last few years I'm happy just to hear a gobbler. I haven't even bought a second tag the last few years. I think I'd actually feel guilty killing more than one the way the numbers are around here right now.

SteelerFan

Quote from: The Cohutta Strutter on July 13, 2017, 08:35:56 PM
No,no,no...my mistake. There should have been an "or" between the 2 and 3. I suppose my original post was a bit of sarcasm towards this topic. I think there are many here including myself that are well past the numbers game or even keeping score and really are just completely content just to be able to go at it one more time. I mean no offense to anyone.

:TooFunny: dang! And I was going to vote your "23" as best answer!! Lol  ;D

Yoder409

I want to kill as many as I legally can, but I don't care if I get any........   Haha !!

I honestly have not killed a spring bird for the last two seasons.  I have buddies that can NOT believe that I'm not upset or bothered by that.  But here's the deal......... 2016 I called for my little girl (11 then) and she killed her very first wild turkey.......a 5" jake.   2017 I called for her again and she took one for the newspapers........ 10 3/4" and 1 1/4" spurs.   At the instant both of those birds met their demise at the hand of my little sniper girl, my seasons were complete and I coulda cared less if I pulled the trigger or not.   And I didn't.

Bottom line is I still LOVE to shoot turkeys !!!    But if I never kill another one, I've killed more than my share...........   It stopped being a numbers game for me, personally, quite a good many years ago.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

WiLL B

I have never had a specific goal. I hunt as much as I can wherever I can. I hunt one hunt at a time, but I guess my goal is the limit in all the states I hunt. Some years I get em , some I don't. Heck as long as I'm not skunked I'm happy! This spring was great I killed everything I got close to and limited out everywhere. But I been doing this long enough to know I was very lucky. Next year could very well be a different story. But if I'm able I'll be hunting em and hopefully killing some, I'll see what the count is May the 31st.

compton30

My goal for turkey season is the same as it is for any game I chase after and that's to spend as much time as I can with my Old Man. There's gonna come a day I don't like to think about and his coffee cup isn't gonna be in the cup holder anymore and I don't wanna regret a single day I could've been out with Dad and wasn't. All the rest is gravy.

TauntoHawk

just enjoy the season for what it has to offer.. killing turkeys isn't that hard i could fill every tag pretty quick if filling my own tags was the only thing I was concerned about.

I spend at least half my time taking other people out and will often hold my last tag so i can keep hunting, after I filled 5 of 6 tags this past spring I let a few birds walk not willing to cap off my final tag unless the hunt was something special.

I do not hunt turkey in the fall, I have deer, bear, and elk all to hunt this fall no real time or reason to chase birds outside the excitement of spring unless its to call one into bow range while on stand for deer but I have no intention of seeking them in the fall.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Roost 1

Every year I hope I can kill 1........If I do, its been a successful season.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I'm a spring only turkey hunter.

I turkey hunt to succeed and success in my opinion equates to punched tags and limits filled.

I get 3 tags in Virginia and hunt/guide in multiple states, as well.  I expect to see 20+ birds each spring take an easy walk back to the truck.

dejake

My goal is to pass up at least one mature bird.  If it's not what I want, and I don't kill one, it's still a success.

davisd9

One more spring morning, one more gobble, and one more Tom to admire.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tha bugman

My goal is to keep from getting shot from the turkeys that carry guns.

dutch@fx4

:z-guntootsmiley:My goal to to put my daughters in position to at least get a shot at a tom within the first few days of the season.them I like to take out a few buddy's and get them a fair shot at a bird. Myself I like to at least have a fair chance at getting near the roosting birds ever morning I go out and enjoy the show

mtns2hunt

Quote from: tha bugman on July 14, 2017, 11:46:15 AM
My goal is to keep from getting shot from the turkeys that carry guns.

Good statement and I agree on public land.

I do not like putting numbers to killing turkeys. That is what put the turkey population in trouble last century along with market hunting. Just because you can kill a limit does not mean you have too in my opinion. I hunt a small farm that is rather secluded. I could easily kill my limit but instead I may kill one or two but leave my third tag unfilled just so that I can continue hunting the entire season.

I never want to go into the turkey woods in the spring and not hear that Gobble. Its not a killing game to me although harvesting a Turkey does involve pulling the trigger. Turkeys are a huge resource and not to be taken lightly. Remember that this coming spring when you are standing out there waiting for that gobble and not hearing any and bemoaning the fact on this forum under Gobbling activity. JM2C
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Tail Feathers

My goal is a limit for wherever I hunt that season. ;D
Limits vary from area to area tho.

And I've had some darn good seasons where my goal for kills wasn't met, but my other goal of hunting turkeys all spring was met. :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!