OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Question for box call gurus  (Read 1557 times)

Offline OldSwamper

Question for box call gurus
« on: July 11, 2017, 08:02:42 PM »
I have seen a lot of box calls lately with "wormy" woods for sides, and I love the look (wormy butternut for example). For lack of a better word, does the worminess (worm holes) change the sound versus a clean piece of wood? And, is it more expensive?

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
Re: Question for box call gurus
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 02:33:59 PM »
Each call blank............each block of wood is like a fingerprint, in that no two are alike and the variations between blocks (even if tiny) will change the sound from one to another.  No two calls will sound the same.  "Worminess" is just another variation.  It will not sound exactly the same as, say, a portion of the same board that does NOT have worm holes or as many worm holes.  The sound is affected, although only in "a way".................. not in "a bad way".  It's just up to you to decide if you like it, I guess.

The ONLY drawback I could ever see to wormwood in a call is that if the piece of wood was VERY severely "wormy", it could affect the strength of the soundboard and make the call more fragile to drops, bumps and bruises.  I have a wormy butternut paddle caller that is so "holey" you can look through it !!!   Sounds GREAT !!!  Probably wouldn't fare too well if it happened to get sat upon.....................

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 09:09:10 PM »
PS.......    I am NOT a guru.

I am sure some of the freakishly skilled callmakers who frequent this site can provide a better and more coherent answer to your question.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline OldSwamper

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 09:28:55 PM »
Either way, thx for response

Offline pauld

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 11:39:31 AM »
Each call blank............each block of wood is like a fingerprint, in that no two are alike and the variations between blocks (even if tiny) will change the sound from one to another.  No two calls will sound the same.  "Worminess" is just another variation.  It will not sound exactly the same as, say, a portion of the same board that does NOT have worm holes or as many worm holes.  The sound is affected, although only in "a way".................. not in "a bad way".  It's just up to you to decide if you like it, I guess.

^ THAT

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 01:49:35 PM »

The ONLY drawback I could ever see to wormwood in a call is that if the piece of wood was VERY severely "wormy", it could affect the strength of the soundboard and make the call more fragile to drops, bumps and bruises.  I have a wormy butternut paddle caller that is so "holey" you can look through it !!!   Sounds GREAT !!!  Probably wouldn't fare too well if it happened to get sat upon.....................

Good answer!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.