turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 11-87 Special Purpose question

Started by Oconeeguy, July 05, 2017, 05:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oconeeguy

Just got a good buy on a wood, 12 ga, 26" Special Purpose. It's heavy and Looks like it has seen a lot of use, but inside the barrel is like a mirror. That leads me to some questions.

1 - what does "Special Purpose " mean?

2 - do these guns have chrome- lined barrels?

nitro

PM sent.

Remington SPs do not have chrome lined barrels. They are from the era of high quality from Remington.. Great guns.
Royal Slam 2008

Chris O

Special purpose meant a dull no shine finish I believe. The premier is shiny with fancy wood. I shot one for probably close to 20 years.If I starts jamming with light loads just clean the magazine tube and put fresh oil on it and you are good to go. It was very reliable and I killed a lot of game with it.

nitro

Don't forget to replace the O-Ring once a year - depending on how many rounds you run through her.
Royal Slam 2008

PALongspur

Ozarks Hillbilly

Special Purpose means it was built with a purpose in mind IE Turkey, Deer, Waterfoul

11-87 SPS- T  would be a 11-87 Special Purpose Synthetic Turkey

Old Gobbler

Sp , stands for special purpose , I have one that's 1990 vintage -- if you google it you will see the page adverts for it with a turkey on the page , mind you around this time if you had a 3 inch chamber gun with a flush full choke , with camo tape or spray camo , you were considered a very serious turkey chaser --with a pocket full of federal #4 or#6 copper plated lead , no gobbler stood a chance within 40 yards

The big debate in the turkey camps was if you were a #4 or#6 man ...simpler times ....I miss them

They had a dull finish walnut stocks , and a sandblasted matte blued receiver and barrel , and we're furnished with a camo sling , you could pick one up for $500 at that time , this was one of the beginings of remingtons venture away from the traditional polished blue /high sheen walnut models , and not to be confused with the economy "express " models like the matte finish and hardwood stock 870

I love remingtons , but over the years market share has slipped towards some high quality italian makes , but we see remington make a strong comeback with more modern shotguns like the v3 and versamax

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Chris O

Quote from: nitro on July 05, 2017, 10:14:59 PM
Don't forget to replace the O-Ring once a year - depending on how many rounds you run through her.
I have heard of people having trouble with them but I never changed one the whole time I owned my gun.

Ozarks Hillbilly

Quote from: Chris O on July 06, 2017, 09:32:56 PM
Quote from: nitro on July 05, 2017, 10:14:59 PM
I have heard of people having trouble with them but I never changed one the whole time I owned my gun.

With turkey loads you may not experience any cycling problems do to a bad o-ring but with light 2 3/4 loads you can.

Kylongspur88

I have one circa 1997. It was a Christmas present when I was a kid. Great gun. I've killed a slew of ducks and geese with it and lots of turkeys. I use it mostly for waterfowl and rabbits now. As said replace the o ring once a year. They are like $6 for a 4 pack on Amazon. I might tote mine for fall turkey this year with a pocket full of lead 6.